• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pigeons and barley.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I get to play scarecrow with a real gun on some local barley fields.
It's a little slow so far this season with just the local birds visiting so after a few shots they are gone.
I guess I'm keeping them off and it beats TV anytime.
I have been using a light load of 1oz or a little less and about 60gns of my finest grade.
The Beretta likes it a lot but my old Pedersoli not so good.
It's amazing how differing guns like to be loaded differently.
20210709_182753.jpg
20210711_183329.jpg

I get to play scarecrow with a real gun on some local barley fields.
It's a little slow so far this season with just the local birds visiting so after a few shots they are gone.
I guess I'm keeping them off and it beats TV anytime.
I have been using a light load of 1oz or a little less and about 60gns of my finest grade.
The Beretta likes it a lot but my old Pedersoli not so good.
It's amazing how differing guns like to be loaded differently.
View attachment 84516View attachment 84517
Thanks Britt. I sure miss being able to do that !!!!!

How do you tell that they are local? Different accent for out of towers?
Lol
Lol. There is a busy flight line usually, like a busy air liner route but that's not happening yet. More maize has been planted and I'm not sure what has been sown on neighboring farms. It all changes from year to year. Some years it is very busy, some it's just the residential birds.
Don't matter, I don't want to shoot hundreds of them.
Thanks y'all.

A good day on laid barley is when the ground is covered in white feathers .
Feltwad
I no longer have an outlet for many shot birds feltwad. My gamekeeper closed years ago. If I do get many coming in I offer them to a friend that freezes them in many freezers until he has enough to make the long trip to a game dealer viable.
He is am avid pigeon shooter. I got him on an arable farm near me a few years ago. He had 110 pigeons a couple of weeks ago on there, they were feeding on chick weed.
That is why I prefer crow shooting now, I don't have to have a conscience with them things.

To six breast pieces add.
Half a small onion.
One slice of bread.
Splash of olive oil ( keeps the fouling soft😁).
Fair amount of black pepper.
Whizz it up in a food blender.
Add to a small oven proof dish.
40mins baking time.
Easy peasy.
Thank you

Pigeons are a curse, at the natural gas compressor station where I worked for the last twenty+ years. If not checked, they'll cover the floors and the equipment in deep layers of manure. And the manure can carry a deadly fungus that's killed at least one person I know of...

A couple of years ago I carried a .22 cal., top-break pellet gun into the #1 compressor building, and over the next three or four days carried twenty seven of the fat feathered rats out in plastic bags. All done very discreetly after regular business hours, of course. The next year there weren't nearly as many, because there wasn't a whole generation returning home to nest.

And yes, they were tasty. Think pigeons in gravy... They're just oversized doves, and out in the country they eat what the doves eat.

Last edited:
Back