• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta v. Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. I really don't like all the stampings on the sides of my barrels. Kind of like the "Don't use before reading the owners' manual" on some of the catridge guns.

Up until yesterday my experiences with Pietta revolvers has surpassed the Uberti between my Pietta Deluxe Remington, which is the same as a DGW Shooters, and my Stainless Remington. I was at Cabelas and asked to see a Spiller and Burr that was in the BP pistol case. The wood to metal fit in the grips was atrocious. Not enough wood to cover the metal on one side and wood past the end of the metal on the other.

Bruce

Another vote for Cimmaron Uberti's. They have a nicer fit and finish than the regular Uberti.

Normally, they would cost more, but if you buy from Buffalo Arms they sell the Cimmaron version for the same price as the regular Uberti.

I have 5 of them and love them.

Swapped my Pietta '58 Army for a Uberti"58 Army last week. Shot it today. Made minor front sight correction after the first 6 rounds.
IMG_0387.jpg

Six rounds, 25 yds., one hand, approx. 20 mph wind from 3 o'clock. After sight correction it shoots to point of aim at 50 yds.

I'll take the Uberti, don't miss the Pietta.

So what exactly does Cimarron do? I read that they have their own finish, so do they import gun parts in the white from Uberti to finish? Do they fit and time the parts themselves as well?

Hmm, I might have to divert my Mauser money.

Norinco said:
So what exactly does Cimarron do? I read that they have their own finish, so do they import gun parts in the white from Uberti to finish? Do they fit and time the parts themselves as well?

Hmm, I might have to divert my Mauser money.

Uberti does a little extra for Cimarron. All Cimarron does is check the guns to make sure everything is ok.

The only finish that Cimarron does is the Original finish. That's why it cost so much extra.

So I was just at Basspro (picking up blackpowder) and I noticed they have a bunch of new Traditions CF marked (2010) Pietta's. Pietta seems to have improved, as many have said. My Pietta is an early 2010 (purchased in April 2010), and the grips didn't fit flush, as well as the other minor details I mentioned earlier. The Traditions revolvers all had flush grips. However, they still appear to have the problem of the bolt being too thin and therefore not locking the cylinder perfectly.

Me neither, but the guns are Pietta and I had to take a look.

OT: I find it ironic that they call themselves "Traditions" but sell so much "forbidden to mention here" stuff.

Traditions revolvers are made by Pietta.

Oh, what I meant to say is that the guns are Pietta and CF marked. They just are labeled as Traditions by Basspro because Traditions packages and distributes them. The guns are not marked "Traditions" in any way.

I got a stainless Remington by Uberti for Xmas. Great quality! Seems that both brands are improving but the Uberti is still the best.
The new Uberti revolvers have also a very short rate of twist -1/16- and shoot 450-200 Lee bullets with max. accuracy.
I own 5 Uberti revolvers, all beautiful and accurate.Actually Pietta is able to turn out very good quality but this is more true for the progressive twist Remington, the Starr and the Lemat than for the regular Colt and Remington replicas.

The revolvers inside Traditions Redi-Packs are clearly marked Pietta. Traditions revolver parts say they fit Pietta as well. All of the revolvers at Basspro are labeled as Traditions.

I just checked, and you're right. They sure jack up the price. Pietta's are cheap at Cabelas.

I've always gone with Uberti, so i'm not up on the others.

I agree, for that price, one might as well get a new Uberti.

I'm still looking out for a used Uberti at a gun show. I can't justify buying another revolver new when they don't hold their value at all. I'll let someone else take the step of buying it new.

Do you find good deals on them at gunshows? Most I run into are either overpiced or rusty.

Yeah, but far and few. My first cap and ball was a Euroarms Colt Navy. It was rusted and pitted, but it cleaned up nicely. The finish was more or less intact, but the pitting looked like a snowflake pattern. I got that for $85 after haggling from $120 I think. At the same show, there was a brass frame Remington listed for $80 (seller indicating he will lower). It was perfectly functional, but dirty with grease. I passed on that one. At the show I went to last month, there was a Navy Arms (I forgot manufacture) brass frame, round barrel Colt Navy for $80. It was functional, but again, dirty with grease and minimal rust. The grips were a good bit oversized though, which leads me to believe it was a kit gun. My friend passed on that to buy a Mosin rifle as his first gun.

Around here, deals are around, just rare.

But yeah, there are the overpriced ones. Someone had a Navy Arms Remington for $270.

I like my Uberti steel frame 1858. Seems to shoot well enough.

Today I found a Pietta, long barrel stainless steel 1858 with target sights for $170 at a pawn shop. Seems like a good deal, any thoughts?

Back