• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just go in an Pietta 1860 Sheriff's Model. Cabela's had them on sale and I thought I needed one. Proofs are CD which is 2009 production.
Initially checking it externally it looks really good, cycling was smooth, it dropped the bolt late which is OK easy to correctjust have to do it right away so it doesn't peen the notches. Wedge barely makes it through that's OK too as it means I might not have to make a new wedge.
Let's take it apart. OK Luigi the gorrila wedgesetter is still employed but I managed to get it out. Barrel came off easy. Took off the cylinder and put the barrel back on to check arbor length and it was spot on. As I took the barrel off I noticed it. Surprise surprise they have changed the end of the wedge slot in the arbor it is no longer at 90 degrees to the diameter. It is now similar to what mykeal reported with his FAUL. That is it angles in from both sides of the arbor. There is a 1/4" section in the middle and checking it there is a taper of about .015 across that 1/4" in the right direction even. OK we'll check the wedge. Nope didn't get it all right the wedge only tapers .006 in 1/4 but there is enough meat to correct that and the wedge should slide right in with no problems. Not as nice as the way Uberti does it but workable.

On further checking the wedge was correct just a little to large. Pietta tapered both sides of the wedge so that when the side toward the cylinder is at 90 degrees to the arbor axis it adds it's taper to the other side and it comes out right. Just took .010 off the one side and put a polished bevel on the end of the spring and it pops right in and out. What I thought was a late bolt drop was shipping goo. The only thing I had to do to it was take a few thousandths off the top of the hand as it was picking up the ratchet tooth just a tiny bit early. The internalls are much nicer and what polishing I did was more to make myself feel I was doing something useful than being necessary. Even the parts in the spare parts pack I ordered, just in case, are nice. Overall I am pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

Back