• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta serial number Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MO_E_W

40 Cal
Reaction score
Trying to find out some info on the Pietta 1860 Army I have. Maybe someone here will know or have idea on how to find out.
Have noticed that all of the Pietta guns that I have seen (so far) have a serial number that starts with letter "P" and the numbers are stamped on.
Were as mine starts with the letter "D" and the numbers are laser etched on. Plus the "Black powder only, Made in Italy" is hidden
under the loading lever in very small print. Has all of the proof stampings on the bottom of the frame. Which leaves the barrel and frame nice and clean.
Main reason is, I had purchased a new extra cylinder and it would not fit. It was to long by about .030.
Thanks in advance
Maurice

If you give us the date code we can at least tie it down to a production/proof year. A couple of recent posts actually display this data - thanks to the posters at the time.

The date code information and a lot of other very useful information can be found in the forum's section called "How-To Articles, Charts & Technical References".

Here is a link to that area

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/how-to-articles-charts-technical-references.73/
The thread that talks about Italian Proof Test markings is in the "Modern Replica Dating by Proof Marks".

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/modern-replica-dating-by-proof-marks.49482/
I suggest to anyone who has not visited that section of the forum, go take a look. There are a lot of questions people ask on the forum that are covered there.

If you give us the date code we can at least tie it down to a production/proof year. A couple of recent posts actually display this data - thanks to the posters at the time.

That is absolutely of the essence.

Trying to find out some info on the Pietta 1860 Army I have. Maybe someone here will know or have idea on how to find out.
Have noticed that all of the Pietta guns that I have seen (so far) have a serial number that starts with letter "P" and the numbers are stamped on.
Were as mine starts with the letter "D" and the numbers are laser etched on. Plus the "Black powder only, Made in Italy" is hidden
under the loading lever in very small print. Has all of the proof stampings on the bottom of the frame. Which leaves the barrel and frame nice and clean.
Main reason is, I had purchased a new extra cylinder and it would not fit. It was to long by about .030.
Thanks in advance
Maurice

If it is a Pietta, there will be a "cartouche" <FAP> somewhere on the revolver. On the Pietta revolvers from at least 1990 forward it will be the first characters on the infamous Pietta billboard on the right side of the barrel. Some older guns that Pietta made for some importers will have it on the bottom of the backstrap.

AFAIK, Pietta never had an alpha prefix to the serial number (I have 6 Pietta Navies dating from 1990 to present). Yours has a "D" prefix, which really sounds to me as an Armi San Marco revolver. Pietta always has the proofmarks and the datecode on the right side of the frame. ASM puts that info on the bottom of the frame adjacent to the barrel lug when the datecodes were alpha characters in a rectangle. Prior to 1975 ASM stamped the datecode in Roman numerals on the right side of the frame, along with the proofmarks. Also, if it is an ASM it will have either SM. or ASM. on the lower right side of the barrel logo.

Photo below: the left arrow points to the stylized ASM logo; the right arrow points to the datecode. The other two stamps are the proofmarks above the SN which has an alpha prefix:

ASM Pocket.jpg

ASM logo:

ASM Logo.jpg

Italian datecode list:

Italian Date Codes.jpg

If you purchased a Pietta cylinder, it is always longer than an ASM or Uberti frame will allow. Pietta has their own way of doing things.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim

Let us know when your gun was made. If it's one of the older ones you have a greater problem than just the cylinder length. The width of the locking notches is different and maybe their location too.

The cylinder star was .09 to tall also. Was able to return the extra cylinder.
Here is a few pictures that may help.
CN is the date code. = 2015.
The print on the underside of the barrel is so small I need a magnify glass to read it.
Not able to get a picture of it.
This is exactly how it is stamped spaces and caps. Cal.44 BLACKPOWDERONLY-A UBERTIITALY
So I guess I have a Uberti revolver. Without the Uberti arbor problems Gun has very smooth action,
No cylinder lock drag, timing and locks up perfect.
Glad to know what I have here, cause I am happy with it.
Thanks for all the help, friends.
Maurice

Attachments

• pix414283707.jpg
    pix414283707.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 394
  • pix539738733.jpg
    pix539738733.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 180
  • pix230507849.jpg
    pix230507849.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 251
  • pix653875792.jpg
    pix653875792.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 192
  • pix757421112.jpg
    pix757421112.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 181
I got a Pietta "51 that does not have a box with letters in it. I never thought about it until this article. How do I tell what year it was made?

Does it have Roman numerals on the right side of the frame?

If it has no datecode or proofmarks it's probably a kit gun.

Regards,

Jim

It has nothing on the side of the frame. Only has serial number on bottom of frame. Nothing on bottom of handle like others. Was not aware of kit revolvers. I assume they are a thing of the past.

You can still get kit revolvers at Dixie, I happened to be on their site today looking for a gun and saw them. They're not cheap though, $225-375.

That is absolutely of the essence.

If it is a Pietta, there will be a "cartouche" <FAP> somewhere on the revolver. On the Pietta revolvers from at least 1990 forward it will be the first characters on the infamous Pietta billboard on the right side of the barrel. Some older guns that Pietta made for some importers will have it on the bottom of the backstrap.

AFAIK, Pietta never had an alpha prefix to the serial number (I have 6 Pietta Navies dating from 1990 to present). Yours has a "D" prefix, which really sounds to me as an Armi San Marco revolver. Pietta always has the proofmarks and the datecode on the right side of the frame. ASM puts that info on the bottom of the frame adjacent to the barrel lug when the datecodes were alpha characters in a rectangle. Prior to 1975 ASM stamped the datecode in Roman numerals on the right side of the frame, along with the proofmarks. Also, if it is an ASM it will have either SM. or ASM. on the lower right side of the barrel logo.

Photo below: the left arrow points to the stylized ASM logo; the right arrow points to the datecode. The other two stamps are the proofmarks above the SN which has an alpha prefix:

View attachment 41621

ASM logo:

View attachment 41620

Italian datecode list:

View attachment 41622

If you purchased a Pietta cylinder, it is always longer than an ASM or Uberti frame will allow. Pietta has their own way of doing things.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim
Its under the loader handle on the barrel

I can add in on cylinders of by gone days, I have a 1976 ASP NMA and the cylinders for the modern built Pietta are too long to fit in it.

The ASP will fit in the Pietta, but a major gap, so its a frame and cylinder change.

Latest posts

Back