• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Remington Army "Shooters" Revolver from DGW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukeofdata

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've never done any muzzleloading, but am looking at the Pietta "Shooters" Remington Army from Dixie Gun Works RH0135 Remington Army "Shooters"
I'd be grateful if anyone has any knowledge about this revolver that they care to share with a complete novice. First question, but certainly not the last. Thanks in advance.

Rick

dukeofdata,

looks like a good pistol.
but unless you cast your own bullets it will be hard to find bullets for it.
also i think that price is alittle high.

before you buy it check out another website.
check out Fall Creek Suttlery[url] http://www.fcsutler.com/fccwrevolvers.asp[/url]
I purchased the 1858 remmington old silver in 44 cal from them. it takes .454 bullets and shoots real good with 30 grains of 2f and 3f.
just do some more research on these guns i have noticed that dixie gunworks are alittle more pricey than other companys for the same gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
.457 rd balls are not that hard to find, Hornady and Speer make them. But Dixie can be a bit high on their prices.

i would check out cabelas page364 or the christmas catalog .44 remington blued 179.99 plus shipping stainless steel 269.99 plus shipping.

.457 is the standard ball size for the Ruger Old Army, a very popular gun. They're not hard to find at all. In fact, I generally use them in my 1858's because they shave a little larger area for rifling engagement and shoot nicely.

correct. but if you read the review the reviewer said he had to go to a .464 round ball before the gun preformed well.

.464 round ball will be hard to find.

it may work fine with the .457
after reading the reviews i would not purchase it due to the reviewer had to go up to a .464 bullet. my 58 rem preforms great with .454 bullets and it was cheaper than that one.
bought my 58 rem 44 blued all steel for $209.00

Seems like over $400 for a Remington without adjustable sights is asking a lot.

For what it's worth, Dixie lists 3 .44 cal Remingtons made by Pietta in their 2005 Catalog.
The one being discussed in this post was listed at $615 while the other ones were listed at $202.50 (oversize frame and grip) and $257.50 ("rugged-look patina finish").

The two lower cost guns are button rifled, one with .003 deep grooves, the other with .005 deep grooves. The bore diameter on both is .440 while the chamber diameter on the two low cost guns is .445-.446

The High Priced gun has cut rifleing .008 deep with a bore diameter of .440 and a groove diameter of .456. The chamber diameter is .456.

The deeper grooves with the larger chamber should make it shoot better but I don't know that this difference plus having a silver plated trigger guard is worth the extra price.

zonie :)

The gun in question is the flagship of Pietta's line. It has progressive-rifling, full sized chambers, sliding front sight that's higher than the rest of the replicas and is actually a direct copy of the original Remington '58 revovler with matching dimensions overall. I know it won some sort of International competition. You're paying for the extra care and construction with that particular revolver.

The .457 ball is not difficult to load?
Have you ever tried the Lee REAL slugs for a .45 or any type slug in yours?
I've used the Lee conical slugs with reduced heel in mine (and ROA), shoots good and hits hard.

They're a bit harder to load because they shave more lead. I do them with the loading lever occasionally, but a cylinder loader is really the best way. They have more driving area so they seal better and take to the rifling better.

I haven't tried any conicals in mine yet, mostly because I haven't gotten around to it and I don't know where to start. One of these times I will. I think I'll start with the Lee. Thanks for the idea. :)

I'm fixin' to put a very good condition Pietta .36 up for sale - sent you a PM

I shoot .457 round ball out of my '58 shooter's model and have amazing accuracy. I get a nice little lead ring when I pack the round ball, so that shows I'm getting a tight seal. I've never tried the larger balls because the .457's work perfectly. I have an ad up in the buy/sell forums if you want to check it out

Back