• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pietta questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there problems with it? Have you shot it? If there are issues with the frame, I would ‘replace the frame’ with an entire new steel frame gun. You then have a new gun and have a brasser to hang on the wall.

I dont how much of a try but yes I would at least look into the matter. It may be cheaper just to buy another one. Possibly a second hand one. But look at the parts you'd have from the old one.

Just depends on how much the new frame cost. Personally I don't care for brass frame. If it was mine I would change to steel frame. Only frame assembly I've seen is at Taylors. 190, bit over 200 with ship. You can get new revolver for 249 at Dixie or Cabelas. 219 at Midway on back order if they honor the price and have spare parts.

How much trouble is it to replace the frame in a 1851 .36 Navy brasser? The gun is 40+ years old. Would any of you try to repair it if it were your gun?

They sell brand new .44 Pietta brass frames on eBay for about $60 shipped.
They come with the arbor already attached.
Some folks will buy used parts guns built by the same maker.
A brass frame can also be repaired depending on what's wrong with it.
Also, there's outfits like VTI guns parts.
I recently saw one gun that a person replaced the original brass frame with a steel one.
Then was going to sell the brass one on eBay where he bought the steel one from.
But being that it's a 40 year old .36 frame just may not be worth it, so it depends on the details.

Whatever you do, the old parts may be worth selling to help pay for a new gun, so don't just throw them away.
Even if you sell the whole gun as a parts gun, it should have some value to a person who fixes up old guns or needs the old parts.

Last edited:
How much trouble is it to replace the frame in a 1851 .36 Navy brasser? The gun is 40+ years old. Would any of you try to repair it if it were your gun?
You ask about repairing it?
Before anyone can answer that question we have to know what's wrong with it.

Age doesn't damage a gun if it is well cared for. I own a modern German pistol that can't be mentioned on the forum. It was made 113 years ago and it still looks like it was brand new.

Brass frames are ok for light loads , it may still be OK.

Dixie Gun Works currently has Pietta steel frame .36 Navies for about $200, I'm pretty sure just a stripped steel frame will run you about $80. And you don't even know if those 40 year old parts will be a drop in fit.

By all means invest a few dollars in a loading press for your "new" one. I can almost guess that your old one got stretched from 40 years of loading not just shooting.

Latest posts

Back