• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta out of the box shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighorserider

40 Cal
Reaction score
My '51 Navy sure isn't. It has a late bolt reset problem I have tried to deal with by making very small changes like polishing the hammer face and using some 320 paper on the curve of the bolt with no results. Usually trying to pull the hammer back twice is successful the second time so I figured that only a very small change was needed. Now I have another problem. The bolt pops up before the hammer gets to half cock so the cylinder can't be rotated. I've never heard of this problem before. I bought the gun new from Taylors about a year ago and have only fired 5 or 6 cylinders through it because it just doesn't work right. Suggestions are appreciated.

I bought a Pietta 1851 earlier this year. Had a 2021 build date. Had the smoothest out of the box action I’ve seen, still went over it and polished. Has a silky action now but I haven’t shot it much. Maybe 3 cylinders. I’ll be interested to hear if others developed your problem. Mine may be next.

Last edited:
Some of the cams are soft and wear quickly, and the bolt drop timing goes quick

I would hope Taylor's will work with you on the problem since they claim they inspect the guns they sell

My '51 Navy sure isn't. It has a late bolt reset problem I have tried to deal with by making very small changes like polishing the hammer face and using some 320 paper on the curve of the bolt with no results. Usually trying to pull the hammer back twice is successful the second time so I figured that only a very small change was needed. Now I have another problem. The bolt pops up before the hammer gets to half cock so the cylinder can't be rotated. I've never heard of this problem before. I bought the gun new from Taylors about a year ago and have only fired 5 or 6 cylinders through it because it just doesn't work right. Suggestions are appreciated.
You probably can fix both problems if you'll spread the left bolt arm out slightly. It sounds like it's barely engaging the cam.
More "purchase" may help the arm stay on the cam. Wouldn't hurt to lighten up the bolt spring either.

Mike

Last edited:
It makes no difference the brand Uberti or Pietta they are both a "shootable" kit that needs work.
Remember they are not assembled by skilled old guys with green eye shades using files and stones who are gun smiths.
They are assembled by mechanics who stick parts together with an electric screwdriver.
Case in point I bought a brand new Uberti (Taylor) 1851 Navy that had a wedge driven to the point it took a brass wedge tool and a big hammer to remove. After finally fighting the barrel off there was no way to safely drive it back on. Brand new still in the greasy bag. So new guns, if you want reliability, need help and this was beyond me it went to a smith. .
Respectfully
Bunk

Both my 1858 Remington pieattas are new 2021 and 2022. Both tight and good shooters out of the box. 400+rounds through each.

I've had great luck with all my Piettas out of the box. So far no issues with any of them. I have an Uberti New Model Army that was perfect, but my Uberti 51 navy London and my Walker had some issues. The navy mainspring was too long so it was messing with hammer and wouldnt always let it go to full cock, and it was really rough. Had to do a lot of work on it to smooth it out and get it working. My walker was in better shape but required a lot of smoothing out. All of the triggers on my Ubertis needed smoothing out-they were creepy like a Mosin Nagant. By comparison my Piettas have all been smooth shooters out of the box,and the triggers are a lot better. My Pietta 1860 army is glassy smooth and the trigger breaks under 3 lbs.

the trigger break on my pietta bison is perfect. the reguar 8" 1858 has a little bit of creep but not terrible.

The 1860 army someone gave me has set me back over $100 just to get it running without problem.
On Friday Ill be going out to test fire it, and see if I got me monies worth.

No issues out of my 1851 or 1860 with a 2021 build date. The only thing I've done to them is upgrade the nipples to SliXshot. Otherwise no production complaints here.

so far the nipples on all of my 1858 cylinders are working fine. Mt traditions trapper which i assume is made by Pietta? came with case hardened nipple that cracked after 400 rounds. I replaced that with stainless steel nipple.

Back