• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

pietta or uberti??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Piettas made within the last 3 years and their function and lockup is very good (disclaimer: I won't say excellent as all Italian revolvers regardless of make require work to bring them up to excellent). If you are intending the revolvers for plinking and informal shooting I would say the Pietta fills the bill and gives the best bang for the buck. If you are match shooting with either brand they will need upgrades.

Your OP is sure to get attention. Aldo Uberti was the first to make Reproductions. I
think Val Forgett of Navy Arms smuggled black powder pistols into Italy to use
as patterns. Forgett died in early 2000s or so. He was the Father of Reproduction
Black Powder Arms. Knight Pietta made shotguns and turned to Reproductions
as the market developed. The Bernadelli/Beretta people bought out Uberti leaving
Pietta as a Family owned independent Firm. Italy and Spain are known for gun-making
families and regions where gunsmiths historically produced guns for the Market.
To answer the quality question you must know the years of production. Today both
revolvers are being made by computer milling machines to a high standard. However,
Reproductions of any year or brand could benefit from a final inspection and tune
by pistolsmiths---some who are members here. I love Ubertis--but Piettas have been more
accurate for me.

Last edited:
Your OP is sure to get attention. Aldo Uberti was the first to make Reproductions. I
think Val Forgett of Navy Arms smuggled black powder pistols into Italy to use
as patterns. Forgett died in early 2000s or so. He was the Father of Reproduction
Black Powder Arms. Knight Pietta made shotguns and turned to Reproductions
as the market developed. The Bernadelli/Beretta people bought out Uberti leaving
Pietta as a Family owned independent Firm. Italy and Spain are known for gun-making
famililies and regions where gunsmiths historically produced guns for the Market.
To answer the quality question you must know the years of production. Today both
revolvers are being made by computer milling machines to a high standard. However,
Reproductions of any year or brand could benefit from a final inspection and tune
by pistolsmiths---some who are members here. I love Ubertis--but Piettas have been more
accurate for me.
I have one of the first 500 1858 Remington NMA that were made by Uberti for Val Forgett's Navy Arms. At the time Navy Arms was still in Bogota New Jersey at the time and the barrel is so marked. The date code is 1960, both the fit and finish are superb but I'm sure the new ones are better with CNC machining.

I have 2 Piettas made within the last 3 years and their function and lockup is very good (disclaimer: I won't say excellent as all Italian revolvers regardless of make require work to bring them up to excellent). If you are intending the revolvers for plinking and informal shooting I would say the Pietta fills the bill and gives the best bang for the buck. If you are match shooting with either brand they will need upgrades.
Very true, accurate appraisal !

They are both good. for what it is worth the Uberti seem to shoot good right out of the box, slick triggers and a crowned barrel. The Pietta shoots good to, but will most likely need some tinkering to be like you want it!

Would be nice to hear No Second Places opinion, he knows his pistols.

Best for what use? Non match use plinking or out of the box wall display gun? Uberti of most any year...For possible match use before 2012 hand select only any type. After 2012 Pietta has had the best CNC work and results. My last buying trip to Dixie G.W. was in Jan. 2019. Looking to buy a few new CNC guns maybe. Before 2012 I would have expected to have to examine 6- 10 or more guns to find a match worthy base gun to tune. After examination of only 6 Colt 61s and 6 60s of Pietta I was pleased to see they were all worthy. Uberti was like in the old days. Nice and pretty on the outside but the internals may vary. My exam includes me bringing a chair for the 4 hours of take downs and measurements. Bore quality, cylinder alignment, Bore to cylinder size, lock up, and more. Two of the revolvers I were a Pietta 1860 and Pietta 1861. Tuned both for the Colt "Open Top" Division in the NMLRA National Championship 2019. Would be my first time in that match division. The rules allow any Colt style design so I was pleased to find my cylinders and barrels interchangeable. A .44cal 1861 or .36cal 1860 were possible. After trying all 4 configurations the 1860 frame with the 1861 barrel and cylinder was the clear winner. Match results proved the same...c

Well, the action parts in the Ubertis of the last 6/7 yrs. are excellent! Don't know what else anyone would be looking for but they are what they are. Sam Colt would have had a fit to have such parts!! The action parts of Pietta are just new constructed copies of 80's/90's . . . lots of work to do. Most other things mentioned by "No second place " can be dialed in. Another reason why "tuners" are an option. Triggers, timing, lightweight hammers . . .

Hey, Jim, send me your phone number and I'll call ya!! Thanks!

Mike

Back