• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta or Uberti 1858 new model army?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple things I’ve noticed in Pietta and Uberti. First is the cost. Second the Pietta cylinder is longer than the Uberti. Other than that they both shoot. Maybe shoot high, but show me a black powder revolver that doesn’t. Unless the sights are modified.

Glad I didn't post the pic of the conversion cylinder ( pg.2). It would be gone already and multiple posts about the rules. 🤣

Mike

A recent article in Firearms News (usta be called Shotgun News) details Italian gun laws, and how they are often more 'free' than other European countries. I think we all agree that we love the way Italy has been a manufacturing source for our beloved replica black-powder guns! Tradition!
France is pretty free too. You can still* buy a BP revolver or long gun over the counter, with just ID such as a passport or driving license, although you need a category 'c' license (the lowest category of gun license here) to buy and store powder.

Mine is a Pietta 1858 army and I have no issues with it. Out of the box it required no work and shoots just fine. Ubertis have a nice touch, which is a slight bevel on the inside of the muzzle which is good if you drop the gun as it protects the rifling from burring. I may take a few minutes with a dremel to do this modification myself.

*In France BP revolvers have started turning up in the homes of people who have been accessing 'terrorist' or 'radical' websites, so this may be up for review in the near future.

France is pretty free too. You can still* buy a BP revolver or long gun over the counter, with just ID such as a passport or driving license, although you need a category 'c' license (the lowest category of gun license here) to buy and store powder.

Mine is a Pietta 1858 army and I have no issues with it. Out of the box it required no work and shoots just fine. Ubertis have a nice touch, which is a slight bevel on the inside of the muzzle which is good if you drop the gun as it protects the rifling from burring. I may take a few minutes with a dremel to do this modification myself.

*In France BP revolvers have started turning up in the homes of people who have been accessing 'terrorist' or 'radical' websites, so this may be up for review in the near future.
It's happening all over, which is why I'm enjoying the freedom while I can

There's always pics on Facebook groups of seized weapons from drug busts and people making fun of them like "someone call wyatt earp we found your gun" because it's 4 or 5 rusty brass frame Piettas and a single shot shotgun

It's funny but also not because all of this draws attention to the freedom of getting blackpowder guns

It's like, you gotta laugh or else you'll cry 😃

People get lambasted on here for using percussion revolvers for self defense, we're like "you're using 1860s technology to protect yourself from crackheads with 9mm's" but now the crackheads are packing .44 cap and ballers 😃😃

Last edited:
It's happening all over, which is why I'm enjoying the freedom while I can

There's always pics on Facebook groups of seized weapons from drug busts and people making fun of them like "someone call wyatt earp we found your gun" because it's 4 or 5 rusty brass frame Piettas and a single shot shotgun

It's funny but also not because all of this draws attention to the freedom of getting blackpowder guns

It's like, you gotta laugh or else you'll cry 😃

People get lambasted on here for using percussion revolvers for self defense, we're like "you're using 1860s technology to protect yourself from crackheads with 9mm's" but now the crackheads are packing .44 cap and ballers 😃😃
Well, the beauty of a Remington is that, with my three spare cylinders, I can reload as quickly as anyone with a modern cartridge revolver... should I need to. So, Wyatt Earp or not, I have something significantly better at defending me and mine than a cricket bat and an angry expression!

My 2 cents.
Think twice about carrying loaded cylinders with caps on. It worked for Eastwood in Pale Rider, but that's in the land of Hollywierd. That said, I have a Pietta Remington and have had others in the past. They have never failed me. I love my Colts, but the Pietta Remington is the one I would have with me.

#3 first. Check out forum rule #10. We do not discuss metallic cartridges or conversion cylinders on this forum. While I understand your opinion on this subject, like I said before, I personally could not care less about them or the use of them. BP with round ball or conicals in paper cartridges only. And it's the forum rules.

Concerning Remington replicas, no I don't know for a fact Pietta is better. My sample size of 1 Pietta 1858 in my collection is not enough to form a solid opinion. However it is a great shooter with a smooth action compared to Uberti 1858's I've shot and handled. When it comes to Colt replicas, yes generally speaking Pietta is superior out of the box comapred to Uberti.

#1 Forged is not ALWAYS better than cast. There are too many variables at play to make a blanket statement like that. However in the ever on going debate of Uberti vs Pietta, I will agree that if comparing similar models, Uberti frames are ultimately stronger.

That said, Pietta frames are certainly strong enough for a long life with BP and sensible loads. If someone insists on cramming as much T7 into the chamber AND still being able to seat a heavy conical, then the Uberti will likely be the better choice. However MOST cap and ball shooters do NOT do this.

Pietta's MIM parts does not bother me in the least. Most unmentionables actions these days are comprised wholly of MIM parts. Seems to work just fine for them. Pietta's also seem to generally work just fine out of the box. Could they be improved by tuning, well sure. But they work well out of the box for most folks. Uberti's seem to need work to function well. They certainly look better. I'll give anyone that. Most folks will NEVER have their revolvers tuned, so the whole idea that Uberti's are easy to tune than Pietta's is lost to MOST shooters. If you are a competitive shooter then tuning I would imagine is something that IS very important to you. Most folks just want to plink, informally target shoot, or hunt. And they want the revolver to work right out of the box to a reasonable standard without a further outlay of cash to 'fix' imperfections in the action. Pietta's fit that bill perfectly.
(Uberti frames are ultimately stronger) One might surmise that to be true, however has it ever been proven ?
Do you believe Ruger frames are not strong?

Buzz

(Uberti frames are ultimately stronger) One might surmise that to be true, however has it ever been proven ?
Do you believe Ruger frames are not strong?

Buzz
Re-read my post. I never said that all cast was weaker or that all forgings were stronger. One must take this up on a case by case basis.

Re-read my post. I never said that all cast was weaker or that all forgings were stronger. One must take this up on a case by case basis.
You certainly did not state that as such and since the thread was mentioning revolvers the implication was cast is ultimately not as strong period.
off revolver topic but I recall when the major auto makers began using cast crankshafts in their engines.
Thier reliability was ultimately found to be fine even in high performance use.
Buzz

Ruger perfected the casting process and that process is used for many other products to say the least!! However, I highly doubt Pietta uses the same process that Ruger does so, I'll still go with forged Italian vs cast Italian.

Mike

As far as crankshafts, all "high end" manufacturers use forged or machined billet (racing). I believe the cast cranks were "ok'd" for use as cost saving for automobiles / light trucks. Forged are definitely the better crank.

Mike

I never saw a forged crank break but have seen a lot of broken cast cranks
Perhaps you have not seen a lot of cranks. I unfortunately
As far as crankshafts, all "high end" manufacturers use forged or machined billet (racing). I believe the cast cranks were "ok'd" for use as cost saving for automobiles / light trucks. Forged are definitely the better crank.

Mike
I never stated better or worse. very few people have ever driven an auto with a forged crank and even less with a billet, the cost is prohibitive for most , even if available.
High end HIGH PRICE.
Had a forged truck engine crank break.

buzz

I never stated better or worse. very few people have ever driven an auto with a forged crank and even less with a billet, the cost is prohibitive for most , even if available.
High end HIGH PRICE.
Had a forged truck engine crank break.

buzz

Ultimately it depends on the process used but I'll just point out that a lot of folks drive Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW's . . . so it's not "very few". Billet crankshafts (like I said for racing) are found in F1 cars as well as Ferrari's. There's not as many of those type of Italians running around but there's more than "very few".

As far as inexpensive Italian revolvers, I don't think "high end" casting techniques are used to make a product "stronger" than the forged competition. I'm pretty sure it's the "let's make it a little bigger" technique. If size is no deal breaker, get the cast one!! I have one!!! I like it a lot and it's very accurate revolver. But I'm pretty sure the "forged" one is stronger than mine.

Mike

My 2 cents.
Think twice about carrying loaded cylinders with caps on. It worked for Eastwood in Pale Rider, but that's in the land of Hollywierd. That said, I have a Pietta Remington and have had others in the past. They have never failed me. I love my Colts, but the Pietta Remington is the one I would have with me.
Pale rider Remington was a cartridge conversion.

Back