• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Old Silver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My Dance and Brothers from Pietta is in the Old Silver Finish. I have tried to research just what the finish is and have had no luck so here is my conclusion.

It's not stainless. It's not nickel.

All it seems to be is polished steel with a light clear coat. Basically it looks like these are buffed in the white and then sprayed with a light clear. If you hold the revolver just right, you can see a wavy finish.

This actually works good with a Dance as it's possible these guns were finished in the white.
1632503873154.png

Now, here's my concerns...
I have handled the revolver and just from handling, it does have some rust starting. There's already a places close to the muzzle and on the cylinders. This revolver has been oiled and wiped down. After I handle it I do wipe it down.

This is to be expected with an in the white gun. They will for lack of a better term....rust. Just be clear, I'm not unhappy at all.
1. I feel it's over polished. Polished steel is more rust resistant but this steel is buffed to almost like chrome.
2. The clear coat is very thin, with that said, will it inhibit the natural greying that all in the white guns eventually turn to?
What I'm getting at is I know what I have with one in the white. It's high maintenance but eventually it will turn to more of a gray.
With the clear???

1632504773356.png

1632504901351.png

1632505045326.png

1632505515633.png

^^^^I don't know if this relic is legit....I'll be honest I think it's fake.
1632505215740.png

The bottom photo is a "defarbed" Dance. I post it because of the finish. This is what fresh, in the white should look like.

I don't really don't know what to do....
I'm tempted to rework it and cut some of that shine back and remove the "clear".
On the other hand, I'm also tempted to leave it as is and just shoot it and keep it clean. The grips do need some work. You can feel some proud edges at the frame.

Would you strip the clear and tone that shine some or would you just go with it as is?

You might dab on a drop of acetone where the rust is starting. See if that removes some of the clear finish. :dunno:

If you decide to let it age naturally, that would be my choice, you really should get that film off, probably some kind of lacquer, otherwise it will get all blotchy looking. Good luck, its a nice looking gun!!!!
Robby

I have 2 Piettas, in ole silver, a 51 Navy, and 60 Army. Mine don't have any type of clear coat on them.
The metal used in these guns is not the same as the blued versions, just polished bright. It is a different alloy. I can tell you it is very hard, compared to the blue versions. I found out when I tried to modify the 51 navy plunger how hard it is, couldn't drill it.
I have had these pistols about 3 yrs. Maybe they are useing different alloys now.

Dave

My Dance and Brothers from Pietta is in the Old Silver Finish. I have tried to research just what the finish is and have had no luck so here is my conclusion.

It's not stainless. It's not nickel.

All it seems to be is polished steel with a light clear coat. Basically it looks like these are buffed in the white and then sprayed with a light clear. If you hold the revolver just right, you can see a wavy finish.

This actually works good with a Dance as it's possible these guns were finished in the white.
View attachment 95601

Now, here's my concerns...
I have handled the revolver and just from handling, it does have some rust starting. There's already a places close to the muzzle and on the cylinders. This revolver has been oiled and wiped down. After I handle it I do wipe it down.

This is to be expected with an in the white gun. They will for lack of a better term....rust. Just be clear, I'm not unhappy at all.
1. I feel it's over polished. Polished steel is more rust resistant but this steel is buffed to almost like chrome.
2. The clear coat is very thin, with that said, will it inhibit the natural greying that all in the white guns eventually turn to?
What I'm getting at is I know what I have with one in the white. It's high maintenance but eventually it will turn to more of a gray.
With the clear???

View attachment 95602
View attachment 95604
View attachment 95606
View attachment 95627
^^^^I don't know if this relic is legit....I'll be honest I think it's fake.
View attachment 95616
The bottom photo is a "defarbed" Dance. I post it because of the finish. This is what fresh, in the white should look like.

I don't really don't know what to do....
I'm tempted to rework it and cut some of that shine back and remove the "clear".
On the other hand, I'm also tempted to leave it as is and just shoot it and keep it clean. The grips do need some work. You can feel some proud edges at the frame.

Would you strip the clear and tone that shine some or would you just go with it as is?
54Ball:
I just purchased the same Dance pistol. Wondering if you have any more knowledge re protecting the surfaces? I am ins the deep humid south USA...Any help appreciated.

Back