• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta New Army .44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got all of my components to shoot my new Pietta. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend. Will be using 25grs of OE 3F and .454" Hornady balls. Pietta with loading components.jpg

Finally got all of my components to shoot my new Pietta. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend. Will be using 25grs of OE 3F and .454" Hornady balls. View attachment 101681
[/QUOTEI
I should have one with the 5.5” barrel tomorrow evening. It has been on backorder from Taylor’s & Co. since about April. They got a shipment in last week.
I prefer the feel of the Colt design, but wanted something with the shorter barrel and a little greater powder capacity.
I would not get too hung up on deciding on a powder charge ahead of time. Start with a maximum charge, and work your way down. Remember, if you use lubed felt wads they do not have to be full diameter, or even round. Square or even triangle ones work just as well. They are not meant to be a gas seal. Making your own will save you a lot of money. In my case, there is no way I’m payin’ 7 cents or more apiece for something as simple as wads.

Last edited:
My powder flask spout measures 25grs. of 3F so it's very easy to use that as my starting load. I may increase that charge after I shoot some targets.

I purchased a Pietta Remington NMA from a gentleman here on the Forum it is one of the newer models I assume was made on CNC machinery. It is superb. The action seems 'tuned' and fit and finish are amazing. I have an older brass Pietta, and I've owned older steel Pietta NMA's which needed tuning out of the box. This newer model also has a higher front sight which was a need on the earlier models. This thing gobbles 3f by the load, and I'm tempted to follow Colonel Colt's and Britsmoothy's advice and stuff the chamber with whatever black powder, even 4fg. It screams for buffalo meat. Hoka Hey!

The Pietta Target model had a taller front sight. The civil unrest in 2020 has
created a strong market for all guns -and especially these revolvers as they can
be owned in many places that prohibit modern pieces. The Remington 10's
costing 13 bucks is a rip off. That is double what they were a few years ago.
Why doesn't another manufacturer duplicate the #10's? 13c a shot is stupid
high.

My powder flask spout measures 25grs. of 3F so it's very easy to use that as my starting load. I may increase that charge after I shoot some targets.
I ran light loads for the first two cylinders when I first got my stainless Uberti New Model Army, and when I kicked it up to 30gr, the difference was there, but it wasn't prominent.

For just punching paper, lighter loads are plenty sufficient, but you'll want to run that 25-30 grains if you plan to train to press your revolver into service as a dedensive or hunting weapon in an emergency.

My revolver, of course, is far from my primary hunting or defensive weapon, but my own personal philosophy is to train with any firearm as if it would potentially have to fill one or both of those roles.

By the way, I have the same little jar of lube you have. I run cork disks over my powder and put some of that lube around the interior of the chamber mouths before ramming home a ball. That serves the same purpose as the Wonder Wads, so you can do that when you run out of wads if you have to.

I bet you are going to be very happy with that Pietta. I have a couple of them made in the last year or so and they are well made and well fitted. Your load should be a good starting point but don't be surprised if a slightly lighter powder charge is more accurate. Another vote for making your own wads: saves a little money and they are more effective than the commercial versions.

Please let us know how the range session goes.

Jeff

I shot 18 lead balls today. Recoil was lighter than I expected. I set the target at 45 feet. Accuracy was very good for the first time shooting. The spent Remington caps tend to stay on the nipple so I picked them off. Loading the cylinder takes a long time so I will probably buy 2 more Pietta cylinders next year. And a loading stand will help. All in all it was a lot of fun shooting. Pietta Target 2021 small image.jpg

Latest posts

Back