• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta Navy Revolver Cylinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpatrick

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to buy an additional cylinder for my Pietta Navy in 44.
It says on the barrel, Filli Pietti
How do I know which cylinder to buy for it if I'm only able to look at pictures?
I don't know specifics on what to order.

I'm hoping it will be just as accurate, I just want an extra cylinder.

Also what's a good source for this?

OK the pictures in the link you sent, they don't look like what's on my gun. Its just a serial number that is in front of the brass trigger guard.
P59408.
There are marks on the side of the frame in the case hardened area....
A square with a BM in it.
A symbol over a PN
and a symbol that is too small for me to read in a square.
This are all left to right on the side in the order I listed above.
I seem to remember buying this gun around 1999.

Contact VTI gun parts and talk to them. They should be able to help you.

Be careful, it may not work out of the box.

I bought a spare cylinder for my Pietta .36 Navy and the lockup was so sloppy it isn't safe to shoot. That cylinder is just gonna live in the box until I find a use for it

Given the date of yours the current cylinders may not work. I'm not up to date on Colts but I do know that Pietta made some changes to the Remington and the newer cylinders won't work in the older ones.

The PN is the Italian symbol for BP (black powder) & is a required stamping related to proofing.

The cylinder I have, works, it just rusted after it got left in a bath too long.
Its bare metal looking now. Nobody near me offers bluing services. I thought about ceracote on it but not sure if that would add a few thousandths of thickness to it which might cause malfunction somewhere.
If I could somehow protect it in bare metal look, I'd leave it. But I'm fighting rust.

The cylinder I have, works, it just rusted after it got left in a bath too long.
Its bare metal looking now. Nobody near me offers bluing services. I thought about ceracote on it but not sure if that would add a few thousandths of thickness to it which might cause malfunction somewhere.
If I could somehow protect it in bare metal look, I'd leave it. But I'm fighting rust.
Birchwood cold blue perhaps?

BIRCHWOOD CASEY, also has a touch up pen now. for small touch up jobs, it looks just like a SHARPIE, and works instantly as it is applied. give it a try for the small jobs.

If you want to have it hot blued then I recommend Fogle's Gunsmithing <www.foglesgunsmithing.com> 937-335-6085. They do small jobs and at a fair price. If you want to try your hand at doing a bluing job I suggest that you try doing rust bluing but I think you will be more satisfied with the hot blue method.

Easier than what - hot bluing? If you want easy then send the part out to someone that does hot bluing. To get a good rust blue finish there is a bit of work to prep, then apply the solution, boil the part or steam it then card the rust then repeat the process 5 or more times check if you like the color if not then repeat - check - if satisfied coat with oil - done. Now you tell me which process is the easiest :dunno: :ghostly:.

Back