• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Loading Data

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw a video about this.
I only have a 44 so thats the dat I use, but the curve should be about the same just less powder.
The guy did 25,30,35,40gr tests.
The 25 was too little. The 30gr was about right. The 35gr only gave about a 5% fps boost,
and the 40gr loads only changed the fps by 2-3. Using holy black.
I dont see going over 30gr the extra few fps are not worth the powder burnt.
Extra powder is a diminishing return , cramming 40 grains into an 1860 Army is just fouling the gun up quicker

40 is even probably about optimal in a Walker or Dragoon given the little bit of extra barrel and chamber space to burn powder. 50 in a Walker is probably not giving much advantage, there's a reason Sam Colt reduced the cylinder of the Dragoons. I believe the charge with a conical was 40 grains

I just saw a video about this.
I only have a 44 so thats the dat I use, but the curve should be about the same just less powder.
The guy did 25,30,35,40gr tests.
The 25 was too little. The 30gr was about right. The 35gr only gave about a 5% fps boost,
and the 40gr loads only changed the fps by 2-3. Using holy black.
I dont see going over 30gr the extra few fps are not worth the powder burnt.
Interesting, it’s probably fairly close to reality for many guns. It’s also worth noting that it assumes a revolver needs a tight cylinder gap for best performance. Especially blackpowder revolvers, the larger the gap the more fouling is blasted onto the arbor. I have a Pietta that won’t run two consecutive full power cylinders full. It begins hanging up around eight or nine shots.

Interesting, it’s probably fairly close to reality for many guns. It’s also worth noting that it assumes a revolver needs a tight cylinder gap for best performance. Especially blackpowder revolvers, the larger the gap the more fouling is blasted onto the arbor. I have a Pietta that won’t run two consecutive full power cylinders full. It begins hanging up around eight or nine shots.
I have two brand new Piettas with very tight gaps, the cylinder face rubs on the forcing cone from hand spring pressure during cocking , but they run through 5 or 6 cylinders without a problem so I'm leaving them as is. The forcing cones look roughly filed by Pietta employees, like they hit the forcing cones with a file until it "looks good" and whatever b/c gap you get is just the Pietta tech Roulette

That Pietta with the huge gap seems like a good gun to play around with the American Pioneer type subs that burn cleaner, and maybe turn into a dedicated Target revolver. Or it's just destined to be a light target load gun

Last edited:
I ordered a Pietta 1862 .36 in June. It arrives tomorrow! So that means my knowledge is purely theoretical (large grain of salt required). I found Pietta loading information here (page 19)...
https://taylorsfirearms.com/media/site/pietta_black_powder_manual.pdfThey suggest 9-12gr of 3f for a .36 cal with max of 22gr (17gr of Pyrodex).
The one I posted was from 2010, the OP's link is from 2006...

Last edited:
So I actually RTFM here today: http://www.pietta.us/pdf/Manuale_Avancarica_ENG.pdf

I am very surprised to see Pietta claiming 12gr FFFg as max load for their .36 cal revolvers, 15 for .44s, and 60gr FF for their shotguns.

We all know those numbers are bunk.

I got my loading data from my Lyman's manual and experiences on the net. I use 80gr powder & shot in my Pedersoli shotgun (I have no Pietta shotgun but actual limits must be similar). I use up to 30 gr in my .36 cal revolvers (1858). Have no .44s.

Apparently this is a legal CYA but it's disappointing to see them doing this.

As I have said before, the Italians are not really shooters, and generally lack practical experience.
There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

The load data is from the 1960s and was used as a "one size fits all" powder charge to cover themselves back when they sold brass frame Colts with pinned in arbors, and much softer alloy was used in the brass

As I have said before, the Italians are not really shooters, and generally lack practical experience.
There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
The YouTube video of the Italian guy with a Pedersoli 1854 Mauser in his backyard, using his palm as a short starter then shooting into a phone book that's in a tool shed, next to a road with cars going by , behind the tool shed.....was certainly a feat of marksmanship with no room for error😀

Latest posts

Back