• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta DLX Marshal revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the Camp,
Staying ahead of +90° temp and +80% humidity the pair of DLX Pietta Marshal fantasy guns came out this morning.
The guns have both had the Duelist 1954 treatment (look it up) but also have had the forcing cone properly re cut, a cap rake installed, a real front sight in a dove tail., lightened mainspring, and Slixshot cones replaced the original cones.
The first load was 20 grain volume of GOEX FFFg powder, a lubed felt wad and a .451” ball. The press was set to just slightly compress the powder. Remington #10 caps were used because that is what Slixshot nipples are made to fit. The second load was the same except .454” balls were used.

The chamber mouths on both guns have a very slight chamfer (as per the geojohn web page) so almost no lead is shaved on .451” balls and very little lead is shaved on the .454” balls. Hornady swaged balls were used in both cases.
I saw no difference except the .454” balls were a bit harder to start using a Big Lube Tower of Power seating press. The Marshal has a loading lever but is more for show than go so all loads were made off the gun
Shooting either load I saw or felt no difference except for loading the larger ball as noted but heat and humidity drove me inside after only getting off only 12 shots from each gun.
The Marshal is not a target piece with a four and a half inch barrel, but certainly is longer that a snubby but is great fun to shoot.

Respectfully Submitted

Bunk

Back