• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Colt 1851 Navy Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In a previous post I was excited to start my adventure in cap and ball revolvers. Today I went to my local indoor range to fire off the pistol's maiden voyage. I used 20 grn fff3g, a lubed Oxy-yoke wad and .380 ball. The target was at 7 yards.

The first 6 shots grouped better than I expected and I felt kind of cocky. The next six were dismal failures. They ranged to the left and were not as tight. That is purely my inexperience with shooting the pistol because I think the gun shoots better than I do.
Summary: I had FUN! This was a pleasure to shoot, only one cap hitch in 18 rounds and that was probably my fault.

20210612_142455.jpg

"The next six were dismal failures. They ranged to the left and were not as tight."

Did you clean the barrel between cylinders? I have a bunch of revolvers, and they all lose accuracy after a cylinder or two. I run a spit patch through the barrel as a routine part of my reloading process, and I maintain great accuracy throughout my shooting session. My favorite revolver, a standard, unmodified Pietta 1851 .36 Navy shoots 6 shot groups at 25 yards (from a rest, I'm not that good!) right around 1", give or take. Shooting a second cylinder, without barrel cleaning, will open up substantially. It is no longer a group, but a pattern. I don't spend a lot of time cleaning, just a tight fitting, wet patch (spit, always handy) rammed through the barrel once does the trick. Give it a whirl. Attached photo is a 6 shot, Fifty (50!) yard group with my Pietta .36. I shoot clay targets at 100 yards, and average 4 out of 6, again from a rest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-163833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-163833_Gallery.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 38
Back