• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 51 Navy bolt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighorserider

40 Cal
Reaction score
I finally got my new pistol out to the range and fired 6 caps and 5 chambers. The hammer seemed to hang up like it had a cap jam. Took it home and took it apart. No cap anywhere, but now the bolt hangs up. It goes down at halfcock but won't pop back up so there is no lockup at all. I've taken it apart and reassembled it several times. Yes I have the spring in the right way. Any ideas? Is it a defective bolt? I can feel pushing it up with a finger it's dragging somewhere.

Start by checking for burrs on the bolt and you might lightly dress the edges too. Next check inside the frame and the bolt opening for any burrs or anything else that may cause it to hang up. Install just the bolt and spring and see if it goes through the full range of motion freely.

Start by checking for burrs on the bolt and you might lightly dress the edges too. Next check inside the frame and the bolt opening for any burrs or anything else that may cause it to hang up. Install just the bolt and spring and see if it goes through the full range of motion freely.
I deburred everything. The bolt was well polished. The slot it goes up through had a slight bur and was polished with 400 and 600 paper.

Maybe you need a new trigger/bolt spring?

I get the award for idiot of the day. My problem was obviously the trigger bolt spring. I kept trying to figure what was wrong with it. The answer was nothing. It was operator error. I only tightened the screw holding it down til it was snug. That put pressure on the trigger but not the bolt. I finally cranked it down tight and it works fine,

More problems for the rookie. I finally got my pistol out today and put a few cylinders through it. It shot great although my group looked more like a pattern. I know Colts are supposed to shoot high, but mine looked like it was hitting 4 or 5 inches low at 25 yards.
Now for my real problem. I can't get the barrel off to clean it. It pulls off until the back edge of the barrel slot is about ever with the front edge of the basepin slot. Then it's like there is a metallic clank and it won't move farther. I cleaned everything with water and Ballistol as best I could but really need to get it appart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’ve used the loading lever ram to push the barrel off the arbor. Half cock it and turn the cylinder so the web between two chambers meets the center of the ram and use the loading lever to push the barrel assembly off. Be gentle so you don’t mar the cylinder or break the loading lever.

Tried that. It's like there is a mechanical blockage. The barrel slides easy for about half an inch and the there is a clanking noise. Also the barrel won't turn.

No. The barrel does turn when it's free of the pins at the bottom. That's how you check for a short arbor on Uberties. Everything works like it should except the barrel and the arbor.

Have you completely removed the wedge from the gun before you tried to remove the barrel? Have you had the barrel off before? You may have some major burrs on either the lug or the arbor or both. Try moving the barrel forward just enough to get it free of the pins and then turn it if you can, may shear off any burrs. You can still use the loading lever with the barrel moved forward by placing a piece of wood between it and the cylinder

Alternative method: Load a chamber with a ball over 35 grains of 4f. Leave the wedge out, cap and fire. Be sure to tie a string to the barrel so you can find it. :D ;) BTW that's also a good way to pull a bad tooth.

Last edited:
The wedge is out. I always have to completely remove it to get the barrel off. I'm wondering if it's possible the wedge wasn't in tight enough and the slight forward movement of the barrel during firing could have upset a little metal at the front of the slot in the arbor. I've never heard of that and the wedge looks fine though.

. . . .wondering if it's possible the wedge wasn't in tight enough and the slight forward movement of the barrel during firing could have upset a little metal at the front of the slot in the arbor. . . . .

That sounds like the problem.

No. The barrel does turn when it's free of the pins at the bottom. That's how you check for a short arbor on Uberties. Everything works like it should except the barrel and the arbor.

Nosir!! That is NOT how to check for a short arbor !! There would be "evidence " (shiny area!) of the arbor contacting the bottom of the arbor hole! That is the sad part of Pettifogger's articles, that test isn't a good test.

Mike

Ok, Mike, I've never owned a Uberti so I'll take your word. Any suggestions about my problem. I've learned most of what I know about revolvers from duelist 1954 videos.

I finally figured out how to fix my problem. If the metal on the arbor was upset by the little shooting I did then I thought it should be easy to upset it back. About 5 minutes of very light tapping on a 1/8 inch pin punch fixed it right up. A too lose wedge would also explain why I got a foot wide pattern instead of an inches wide group. There seem to be a lot of guys new to revolvers like me. I hope by posting my mistakes it will prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

I finally got my new pistol out to the range and fired 6 caps and 5 chambers. The hammer seemed to hang up like it had a cap jam. Took it home and took it apart. No cap anywhere, but now the bolt hangs up. It goes down at halfcock but won't pop back up so there is no lockup at all. I've taken it apart and reassembled it several times. Yes I have the spring in the right way. Any ideas? Is it a defective bolt? I can feel pushing it up with a finger it's dragging somewhere.
Check for a bad spot on the hammer cam, deburr everything.

Back