• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1860 Army Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the blackhawk also had aluminum grip frames - except for the few with brass.

I believe the blackhawk also had aluminum grip frames - except for the few with brass.
yes you are right. Ruger had investment casting down to a science with results as good if not better then forged. that is why I figured they could just cast frame and grip in one piece.

If I remember correctly the Old army has a steel grip frame. Most of the Ruger single actions that use the Rollin White system have an aluminum grip frame if the gun is blued and a steel grip frame if it is a stainless model. The vaqueros and a few distributor exclusives being the exceptions.

If I remember correctly the Old army has a steel grip frame. Most of the Ruger single actions that use the Rollin White system have an aluminum grip frame if the gun is blued and a steel grip frame if it is a stainless model. The vaqueros and a few distributor exclusives being the exceptions.
on my blackhawk the ejector rod housing is aluminum also

[/QU Ruger made some of their Bisely models with a steel grip frame and so is the ejector rod housing, I have one in 5.5 inch. It was a special run for South Sport I think.

Hard ordinace grade brass is strong. I had a hundred buck brass cheapie 1858
NMA from flea market- have put hundreds of rounds down range before gifting
it away. Stayed tight and right. Sure, thousand rounds of maxed T-7 might
bring some small stretch-- but if it is Pietta brass IT IS STRONG do not fret.
Use recommended BP loads and it will last like steel, in my experience. Anyone
who just hates them, I'll pay shipping--send them on.
;) :rolleyes: Hey Mr. Lincoln, I'll take half of 'em if you run out of money Dale

Last edited:
I have found on my 1860 the sweet spot to be 25 grains ..and since I shoot 3 C&B calibers I just bought 15, 20, 25, grain spouts from Track of The Wolf .. $5 a spout is soon recovered by 5 grains at a time going from 30 to 25 grains and not much different in feel/function

Bear
Brokenbear, Thank you for the 25 grain suggestion in your 1860 sir. I will be trying that in my 1860.
As an option to TOTW whom I really like by the way, I did buy 4 Treso spouts, 15, 20, 25 and 30 grain from this seller on eBay for $16.63 plus Free Shipping. Pretty good deal and fast shipping. Thanks again Bear.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2541664776...rentrq:902334c617d0a6466e002e15fffb59ef|iid:1

I found an Ammo Land article in which the author chronoed some various loads of Grafs BP, 777 and Pyrodex P out of different revolvers of different calibers. For me, the 8" Remington NMA was the only one that mattered because I have one of those, and I have a Colt 1860 Army with an 8" barrel, too.

The variations in muzzle velocity between 25 and 30gr of Pyrodex P were pretty significant as the attached chart shows:

Capture+_2021-12-06-18-58-11~2.png

Those are some pretty impressive numbers. The link to the article follows so the author can get full credit for his work:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/th...rs-black-powder-vs-substitutes/#axzz7EJYkwh2y

I found an Ammo Land article in which the author chronoed some various loads of Grafs BP, 777 and Pyrodex P out of different revolvers of different calibers. For me, the 8" Remington NMA was the only one that mattered because I have one of those, and I have a Colt 1860 Army with an 8" barrel, too.

The variations in muzzle velocity between 25 and 30gr of Pyrodex P were pretty significant as the attached chart shows:

View attachment 108165
Those are some pretty impressive numbers. The link to the article follows so the author can get full credit for his work:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/th...rs-black-powder-vs-substitutes/#axzz7EJYkwh2y
I have never shot 40 grains in any revolver of mine ROA, Colt 60 or Rem New model Army 58. Is it even possible as 30grains of 3F Goex in any of them under a ball seems like a compressed load?

Well i don't know how scientific the above chart is ( likely is a fair representation) ....I don't have a chrono but I can tell by the recoil, the crack of the shot and the projectile point of impact especially ..that the 25 grains of Trip 7 3F punches like or better than 30 gr 3F Goex

I didn't dream of 20gr T7 with ball would equal 30gr BP and ball RPM wise !

BEAR

I have never shot 40 grains in any revolver of mine ROA, Colt 60 or Rem New model Army 58. Is it even possible as 30grains of 3F Goex in any of them under a ball seems like a compressed load?
I use 30gr of Pyrodex P under a ball in my Remington NMA, and I stop when I feel the ball make contact with the powder. After I've seated the ball, it is a few millimeters below the edge of the chamber mouth. My Uberti manual says 35gr of black powder is the max, and based on the amount of space left after I put 30gr of Pyrodex P, I imagine 35gr of black powder would fit with just a touch of compression. I'm guessing that the author had to hoss that loading lever down to seat the ball over 40gr.

Edit: I have read anecdotal tales of people getting 40gr of powder into Colt 1860 Army chambers without compression. I can't get to my revolvers without waking the wife to compare chamber lengths, but aren't the cylinders of the 1860 and RNMA about the same length?

How low can you go in the Colt and Remington reproductions without having to mess with a filler?

When I first got my Remington, I loaded 15 without a filler. It was my first experience with a BP weapon, and I was just getting my feet wet.
TrapperDude,
Do you use a wad at all in your loads? Just curious. BTW, I have a Taylor's Uberti Remmy antique finish. I love it. Thanks

Back