• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1860 Army bullet suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased an 1860 Pietta revolver and would like to by a mold. Before buying a mold though I need some round ball size suggestions.
What are you guys using for your Pietta 1860 army revolvers?
Unfortunately Track doesn’t just sell samples...

The suggestion for the Pietta round ball mold of 0.454 is good.

One should always measure the chamber mouths, the bore land to land measurement and the groove to groove measurement. Ideally, the groove diameter and chamber mouth should be the same. The desired ball should be a couple of thousandths of an inch larger than the chamber mouth. Measure the nipple cones. If the tip of the cone is 0.155", use #10 caps. If the tip of the cone is 0.165",, use #11 caps.

I have found that the .451 roundball to be accurate in my Pietta Colt. Loading that roundball leaves a nice ring of lead at the mouth of the chamber. It loads without excessive force, thus reducing stress on the loading lever. Less stress on the loading lever means less hard work, meaning more shooting time at the range.

S.Kenton,
The rack and pinion loading system on the 1860's was specifically engineered to provide mechanical advantage and be robust enough to shear a lot of lead during loading. Using .454 round ball will likely be your best bet. Were it me I'd probably also chamfer the chamber mouths to swage in lead as well as shearing it off but shucks, I'd see how it works before I started tinkering with it.

That is a heck of a Revolver. It is an all around shooter. If you hunt or camp on
Federal lands that gun is not considered a firearm under (present) Federal law.
There is important legal protections in this status. Great to take camping and
to have for emergency protection. Piettas are among the best out there.

.457's in EVERY Pietta revolver...they are just better! 20+ revolvers tried and tested, and the .457 is ALWAYS the most accurate.

Use an RCBS deburring tool (Very Lightly) on the cylinder mouths' and the balls will swage in nicely and not shave the lead ring.

The little sheriff models are the only exception because the little rammers are too hard on your hand. Use .454's in them for easy of loading.

in the row of .44 Pietta's I have .451" balls work perfectly for my can rolling and plinking.
I am not a target shooter but that is what works for me.
Molon Labe
Bunk

.457's in EVERY Pietta revolver...they are just better! 20+ revolvers tried and tested, and the .457 is ALWAYS the most accurate.

Use an RCBS deburring tool (Very Lightly) on the cylinder mouths' and the balls will swage in nicely and not shave the lead ring.

The little sheriff models are the only exception because the little rammers are too hard on your hand. Use .454's in them for easy of loading.
Get a Slixhand tool. That is what is needed to load the Capt. Schaeffer Colt. The loading lever is almost for show but will work with the Slizhand. It is a 36 caliber 1851 navy snubby made buy Pietta..

Back