• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1858 Stainless Remington nipple replacement suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do have the old nipples out after a bit of effort, and sacrificing one nipple wrench, and 2 5mm 1/4" drive sockets (modified by me for fit) to the gods of the handguns...
I do believe they have not been out since new.... no anti seize compound can be seen on the threads.

Side note:
(never buy a gun in a Walmart parking lot when it is cold and dark out, have weak night vision, and you are in a hurry..... heheh :oops: this thing must have been "dry fired" many, many, many times).

Question is, what are the best replacements for them?
I have found several, but would really like to hear from actual users.

I am very new to bp handguns, have not even shot one since 1979, so please bear with me here.
This is for the stainless one I just picked up, so I do want them to match the cylinder and not be blued.

Thanks in advance again,
railshot

I have good luck with Pietta Nipples and Remington #10 Caps. Cabela's has them in stock @ $25 for a set of 6.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Black-Powder-Revolver-Nipples/705221.uts

I bought 5000 Rem #10 caps from Midsouth Shooters Supply:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/muzzleloaders/shooting/caps-and-primers
These work on my 6 Pietta Revolvers and Lyman Great Plains Percussion Rifle.

It is possible to tailor your nipples to a different brand / size cap. Track of the Wolf sells stainless nipples for Pietta revolvers that will fit CCI#11 caps.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/2

If you want to the latest and greatest. There's also Slix Shot nipples @ $36.00 a set of six. These are also set up for Remington #10 caps.
http://cowboybullets.com/SliX-Shot_p_47.html

I do have the old nipples out after a bit of effort, and sacrificing one nipple wrench, and 2 5mm 1/4" drive sockets (modified by me for fit) to the gods of the handguns...
I do believe they have not been out since new.... no anti seize compound can be seen on the threads.

Side note:
(never buy a gun in a Walmart parking lot when it is cold and dark out, have weak night vision, and you are in a hurry..... heheh :oops: this thing must have been "dry fired" many, many, many times).

Question is, what are the best replacements for them?
I have found several, but would really like to hear from actual users.

I am very new to bp handguns, have not even shot one since 1979, so please bear with me here.
This is for the stainless one I just picked up, so I do want them to match the cylinder and not be blued.

Thanks in advance again,
railshot

Hope you got the midnight discount.

Thanks drobs, any experience with the Slix Shots?
Leaning that way right now, and if they are better, the extra $10 would be worth it.

Lots of reviews out there on other boards and youtube but mostly related to open top Colt revolvers.
I believe they are vented (holes on the side of the nipple) which is supposed to help the cap fragment better?
I've been tempted to try them but haven't yet.

There are lots of reviews, and it would appear that the ultimate fix on an open frame is to clean up the hammer by de-burring it, so think I will save the $10 extra for the Slix Shots and do that on all 5 of mine.

One review pointed something out I found interesting...
Their really are no documented cases,(that he had found), with the caps falling out and jamming in the original Colts.
He came to the conclusion that they were better at the assembly / manufacturing and cleaning of the parts than the modern replica manufacturers are.

Part of the tune up anyway... de-burring etc.

There are lots of reviews, and it would appear that the ultimate fix on an open frame is to clean up the hammer by de-burring it, so think I will save the $10 extra for the Slix Shots and do that on all 5 of mine.

One review pointed something out I found interesting...
Their really are no documented cases,(that he had found), with the caps falling out and jamming in the original Colts.
He came to the conclusion that they were better at the assembly / manufacturing and cleaning of the parts than the modern replica manufacturers are.

Part of the tune up anyway... de-burring etc.

I think the caps back then were heavier construction.

The ultimate cap jam prevention for open top Colts is the addition of a Cap Rake.
The J-Bar 1/4 cap rake is on my to do list:

This is a variation of this DIY Cap Rake:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/colt_cap_and_ball.pdf

Leaning that way right now, and if they are better, the extra $10 would be worth it.
I put Slix-Shot nipples on all of my revolvers and on a Friend's revolvers as well.

They work great. Say good-bye to the cap jams and misfires. Just make sure that they are firmly seated on the nipples. You won't regret purchasing them.

I bought a set of Slix Shot nipples as replacement for both the factory and later, Uncle Mike's nipples on my Ruger Old Army since neither proved to be reliable. OTOH, the Six Shot nipples have made the ROA ultra reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

I have the SlixShot nipples on my Walker and love them!.
I have them on mine as well but am still up in the air about them. On the originals every other cap would stay on but with the Slix-shot nipples they all blow apart and sometimes fall in to the action. The caps fit on the nipples way better though.

Paying a lot of money for replacement nipples and still needing to buy number 10 caps just seems dumb as a brick. Every time I replaced nipples , it was with Treso/Ampco nipples for number 11 caps.

Paying a lot of money for replacement nipples and still needing to buy number 10 caps just seems dumb as a brick. Every time I replaced nipples , it was with Treso/Ampco nipples for number 11 caps.
How much are a set of Treso/Ampco nipples? Number 10 caps cost the same and are just as easy to get, so I don’t quite get that.

I can get real black powder anywhere here. Number 11 caps are a bit harder to find and number 10's at least an hours drive away. Just easier to get 11's here. I often just buy a roll of 11's and I am set for a year or two. Just like I would not have both real powder and fake stuff when i can just shoot real powder.

I decided to go with the stock stainless nipples from Pietta and they arrived today.
They fit perfect, no need to clean them up due to factory finishing errors, and they function well, so I am pleased.

I did put a very small dab of anti seize on each of them, so next time they should come out much easier.
I used nickel based (silver) in case anyone is interested, it is recommended for stainless, and I have a lifetimes supply from my working days... heheh!

When a person has about 10,000 size #11 caps, it makes sense to go with Treso/Ampco.

I like having one size nipples to fits all my pistols and rifles.

Back