• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta 1858 Sheriff Disassembly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning I was reworking the typical Pietta forcing cone on a 1858 and surprise...

The position of the loading lever latch prevents the cylinder pin from being fully removed from the frame.
Any you fellas run upon this problem?
Anybody implemented a satisfactory fix?

Obviously dovetailed Ubertis and Piettas don't have that problem.

Mike

You made me curious and I checked mine and sure enough it won’t come out. Does anyone know, is the latch pin screwed into the barrel? I didn’t want to bugger it up trying to unscrew it as I have no reason to pull the cylinder pin.

Do not attempt to remove it, you cannot replace it. buy a Uberti latch and dovetail it in. I have seen sketches of a 2 piece cylinder pin that was hinged somewhere in the middle but can't find them. I also saw a sketch of how to grind a crescent shaped area in the pin that allowed it to be lowered enough to slip past the latch.

My loading lever latch and for the longest time, various attempts to pput it back failed. Tried everything, JB weld, crazy glue, anything I could find. Finally gave up so now I secure the loading lever to the barrel with velcro. I know it's not time appropriate, but neither is the pistol.

You can notch the cylinder pin with a dremel ( spelling ? ) tool. I did a conversion on a ‘58 New Model Army by Pietta and the directions I received from Kurst Conversions showed how to notch one side of the cylinder pin. Once it’s notched you can turn the pin to remove or install. Check his website & look for the “how to install the ejector on a ‘58 Remington”. Nice stuff actually.
Hope I understood the question.
Sorry if I didn’t ...

Back