• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Pietta 1858 .44 cylinder w/ new nipples - $60 shipped

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorsideburns

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Please read my description carefully to avoid any unexpected disappointment.

I have an extra Pietta 1858 .44 caliber cylinder to sell. It has brand new Pietta nipples installed. The cylinder has some cosmetic defects. The previous owner must have used some poor fitting tool to remove the nipples which left some light gouges in an even circumference around the rear of the cylinder. You could probably file these down smooth and re-blue if the cosmetics bother you. I bought this secondhand as a spare but was disappointed to find out it did not fit my revolver, keep reading for details.

This comes from a previous generation of Piettas, not the current ones on the market right now. I am assuming this because it did not lock up in my 2016 Pietta 1858, and because the bluing is actually blue, and not black like on my Pietta. I don't know how to date it by markings but I would assume it's from before the 2000s. The cylinder locking notches are more narrow and will not fit the cylinder stop locking bolt of the current production Piettas as a drop-in fit. You would need to file down and fit your locking bolt if you have a recent production Pietta. If you have the older ones, or aren't afraid to hand fit the little bolt then this should work.

I have measured the width of the locking bolt notches on this cylinder as .140" wide with my micrometer. For comparison, my 2017 produced Pietta 1858's cylinder has bolt locking notches which are .160" wide.

I would like $60 shipped. Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC04119.JPG
    DSC04119.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC04120.JPG
    DSC04120.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    978 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    975.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Please read my description carefully to avoid any unexpected disappointment.

I have an extra Pietta 1858 .44 caliber cylinder to sell. It has brand new Pietta nipples installed. The cylinder has some cosmetic defects. The previous owner must have used some poor fitting tool to remove the nipples which left some light gouges in an even circumference around the rear of the cylinder. You could probably file these down smooth and re-blue if the cosmetics bother you. I bought this secondhand as a spare but was disappointed to find out it did not fit my revolver, keep reading for details.

This comes from a previous generation of Piettas, not the current ones on the market right now. I am assuming this because it did not lock up in my 2016 Pietta 1858, and because the bluing is actually blue, and not black like on my Pietta. I don't know how to date it by markings but I would assume it's from before the 2000s. The cylinder locking notches are more narrow and will not fit the cylinder stop locking bolt of the current production Piettas as a drop-in fit. You would need to file down and fit your locking bolt if you have a recent production Pietta. If you have the older ones, or aren't afraid to hand fit the little bolt then this should work. I have measured the width of the locking bolt notches on this cylinder as .135" wide with my micrometer.

I would like $70 shipped. Thank you.
Major, I’m interested but am not a machinist so I would want time to check the fit to my new Pietta (expected later this week). Are you prepared to sell it to me and then return it for a refund if it can’t fit beyond my simple tweaking ability? Tom

Wonder if it would fit my older Richland Arms 1858
Your Richland an Uberti or ASM?. Uberti and ASM will interchange. They will fit a Pietta but the gap (cylinder to barrel) is big. It will rotate and lock up. The Pietta will not fit either one. It is too long. A Pietta will interchange with a Santa Barbara. I don't have a new Pietta so I can't compare the the cylinder lock notches or the bolt.

I just measured the width of the bolt locking notch on this particular cylinder at .140" wide. This is in contrast to my very recent production 1858 Pietta Army cylinder which measures at .160" wide. Hope this helps settle any confusion.

I listed this here thinking there might be someone out there with an older Pietta who wants a backup cylinder that will drop in, or someone who has a more recent Pietta but no cylinder and doesn't mind fitting their locking bolt to this one.

I just measured the width of the bolt locking notch on this particular cylinder at .140" wide. This is in contrast to my very recent production 1858 Pietta Army cylinder which measures at .160" wide. Hope this helps settle any confusion.

I listed this here thinking there might be someone out there with an older Pietta who wants a backup cylinder that will drop in, or someone who has a more recent Pietta but no cylinder and doesn't mind fitting their locking bolt to this
ASM (Palmetto arms?)
Palmetto is a 1960s made in Brescia Italy. Aka MOFRA

I’ve been talking to the major about this and I just measured my new Remington cylinder notches and they too measure 0.160” wide.

Major, I’m interested but am not a machinist so I would want time to check the fit to my new Pietta (expected later this week). Are you prepared to sell it to me and then return it for a refund if it can’t fit beyond my simple tweaking ability? Tom
In stock for $65 new at E.M.F. company now I just checked I bought one from Cabela's for same price but they are out of stock anyway I have 2 Pietta 44 s and it works in both

In stock for $65 new at E.M.F. company now I just checked I bought one from Cabela's for same price but they are out of stock anyway I have 2 Pietta 44 s and it works in both
Thank you, this is the one I will be buying for my newer Pietta 1858 as well. The cylinder I am offering for sale is different, it is an older model which has dimensional differences noted above, and is discontinued and not available from commercial retailers to my knowledge. I listed it thinking there might be someone out there with an older Pietta who might want it.

Thank you, this is the one I will be buying for my newer Pietta 1858 as well. The cylinder I am offering for sale is different, it is an older model which has dimensional differences noted above, and is discontinued and not available from commercial retailers to my knowledge. I listed it thinking there might be someone out there with an older Pietta who might want it.
I wasnt trying to knock you out of a sale just trying to let Slothead know where he could get the correct

necchi I would be fine with that as long as you have read the disclaimers regarding the sizing and fitting potentially required above, I am sending you a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back