• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 Navy wedge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elix1r

32 Cal
Reaction score
20211021_121259.jpg

Bought this 1851 navy with intentions of converting it to .38 special and the wedge is flat and doesnt seem to come out. Is this the wrong model or am i just doing it wrong? Does it come out?

The barrel wedge isn't necessarily going to come out using the fingers. As the others have said, use a nylon faced hammer to tap it out. Sometimes the wooden drift is needed. The tab is there to catch the screw on the other side of the barrel.

you are going to have to reline the barrel to shoot .38 special in the Navy. There is a different bore diameter and .38's will rattle down the bore. Perhaps a modicum of accuracy might be achieved using hollow base hand cast bullets. See the Duelist1954 video on his '51 Navy conversion.
Good luck
Bunk

Not easy.. all my pietta have this issue.. all 5... unfortunatly.. my first two my 1851 navy have small dents in the metal when my brass punch slipped.

Which is another thing.. the steel on these guns is soft.. a brass punch shouldnt even ding solid steel but it did.. ao im not halpy i have nicks in the barrel near the wedge to knock it out.

I suggest you get a plastic hammer. And bash the manure out of it. That worked better with my other 3 piettas.

Once you knock it lose it became easier to get in an out. Like someone said Mario in Pietta in italy used a sledge hammer to pop the wedge in all the guns

Welp, ruined my gun trying to get it out. It looks terrible now and the thing still didnt budge. Not even with a metal hammer. I assume it just doesnt come out.. this must be a weird model or something.

you are going to have to reline the barrel to shoot .38 special in the Navy. There is a different bore diameter and .38's will rattle down the bore. Perhaps a modicum of accuracy might be achieved using hollow base hand cast bullets. See the Duelist1954 video on his '51 Navy conversion.
Good luck
Bunk
I assume they make the bore diameter correct on the ones that are made and sold as ctg. shooters? The so-called "Conversion" versions as done in the 1870's?

I got an 1851, wedge clears barrel area and get hung on arbor, looks similar I have to push/pull the spring down with whatever thin I have around on hand I found tweezers that were broken already work awesome gotta push that spring by the catch.

I assume they make the bore diameter correct on the ones that are made and sold as ctg. shooters? The so-called "Conversion" versions as done in the 1870's?

Yes the factory "conversions" have the correct bore for .38 special and the C&B versions have a larger bore. There are several gunsmiths out there that will line the barrel to the correct size after conversion.

Latest posts

Back