• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pietta 1851 cylinder issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarponStalker

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m still new to BP revolvers so I’m still learning about the part names, disassembly and other things.
Last night I realized the cylinder was getting in a little bind at certain points in the rotation. After I worked with it I found it was due to the wedge key being pushed in a little too far. All seems fine until I spin the cylinder a few times to make sure. Now it’s not “clicking” as its spinning. Almost freewheeling. This is at halfcock.
At full cock it stops correctly.
I think it possibly a problem with the hand ?? It appears to function as the hammer is cocked but maybe not fully popping out. I don’t know.
I haven’t fired this gun but a few times and have never fully disassembled it down to internal parts. Is it just possible there’s some crud causing the problem or a broken part ?
I’m about to take it apart but wanted to get y'all's opinion on what to look for. This may not even be the right part causing the problem.
thanks everyone.

Have you checked the arbor fit?
If the hole in the barrel assembly is deeper than what the arbor needs the the wedge can push the barrel assembly up against the cylinder.
Wedge should be pushed with heavy thumb pressure.
I check mine by removing cylinder, re assemble barrel but turn to just miss the frame mating surfaces. If the mating surfaces overlap then adhere a shim in the bottom of the arbor hole just thick enough that the frame mating surfaces just make contact.
Thin washer works great. May need to thin it some. A dot of epoxy in hole. Drop in shim flat on bottom. Oil arbor. Assemble and let set.
Free spinning cylinder?
If you have spun the cylinder numerous times you may have messed up the hand spring or possibly the hand itself got damaged.
Really shouldn't spin cylinder. To fast a function it's designed for the hand and or hand spring. IMO.
Do need to completely disassemble. Take pics as you go to have reassembly notes.
Check all surfaces for roughness and burrs.
Smooth any issues. Refinish bare areas. Lube and reassemble. I use Aluminum anti seize on internals. Great cohesiveness. 1600 f temp rating and smooth as silk. Makes disassembly to clean internals twice a year at most under normal shooting conditions.

Last edited:
Once I got it apart I found the problem. Broken hand spring. Now I need to find a replacement spring . Hope I can remember how this all goes back together. While waiting for a new spring I’ll be able to polish up a few parts inside.

I wanted to try the hair pin or wire spring replacement but the old spring has been peened into the slot so tight I can’t get it out. That may be why it broke as the break is just at the edge of the crimped slot.
anyway I ordered a hand with spring but until I get it I’ll work on the old one.
I’m thinking I should’ve ordered two. And a spare trigger spring just in case.
Thank you all for your help.

Just bought a spring set from Wolff Gun spring Makers. They say it fixes what ails you.
Have not installed this set yet. Still working on making caps.

The 1860 I was given, had the cylinder rod sticking out a hair to much and the wedge would not go in, but at an angle and would not lock. I shaved a tad off the wedge, and now it works ducky.

There are several really good YouTube presenters that give detailed information on disassembly and reassembly of BP revolvers as well as how to make them function better. I recommend watching at least 3 or 4 of them.

A lot of YouTube videos will show you how to screw up your revolver. Getting a Kuhnhausen book is the best option. It's cheaper to get expert instruction than to keep buying parts (as one YouTuber says to do !!) to keep screwing up Lol!!! Honestly

Mike

A lot of YouTube videos will show you how to screw up your revolver. Getting a Kuhnhausen book is the best option. It's cheaper to get expert instruction than to keep buying parts (as one YouTuber says to do !!) to keep screwing up Lol!!! Honestly

Mike
Yes. I've seen a few that are more what not to do, but most are good. 45D on here has an excellent channel.

Once I got it apart I found the problem. Broken hand spring. Now I need to find a replacement spring . Hope I can remember how this all goes back together. While waiting for a new spring I’ll be able to polish up a few parts inside.
My biggest fear about taking care of my 1851 pietta Navy 44 caliber was taking it apart and getting it put back together. But I'm a pretty pretty good hand mechanically and if you have some confidence in yourself you'll be able to figure it out. Make sure you take some pictures with your phone as you go if you feel the need. I had a problem with the bolt not dropping like it should at half cock. And I simply loosened the bolt screw a quarter turn. As it was still tight I haven't had to do anything since but now at half cocked my cylinder spins correctly and clicks. I'm sure you can find and exploded view of your gun online which will help you put it back together. The most important thing is keeping track of the screws and putting them back in their correct position.

Back