• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pictures/Plans for a Wiard Carriage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrufflerSteve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking at carriage designs for a firecracker cannon. I'm not going all out for authenticity with a 4" barrel but would like it to look something like the original. The rear of the barrel does look like a Wiard barrel with no cascabel but the muzzle is too wide. The Wiard had a most interesting carriage since it could could handle 35 degrees of elevation! That would be perfect for a firecracker cannon since I could do airbursts. At the time, most carriages just did 5 degrees. I've found a so-so drawing in "Round Shot & Rammers" and a poor photograph of a battery of them in another. I haven't found much on the net. From the little bit I've seen its a cool carriage, much more modern looking than the other ones of the Civil War. One picture implied the barrel was raised by a screw through the rear of the barrel. I won't do that. If anybody has access to basic plans or pictures I would appreciate it. I don't have much time since it has to be unveiled by the 4th.

I might take a few ideas from this and some from a mountain howitzer I'll call it a Weird carriage.

Steve

This shows how to build a carriage step by step, you would have to scale it down a tad... :D
http://www.buckstix.com/HowitzerCarriage.htm

Thanks but that doesn't help me very much. I have the Antique Ordnance drawings for #1 & #2 carriages and adequate drawings for howitzers. The Wiard was a weird duck of a carriage. It had very high cheeks which allowed for several times more elevation than the typical field carriage. Here's a picture:
wiard.jpg

I have another drawing which doesn't offer much more detail.

If I don't get anything better I'll just graft an attempt at those cheeks onto a field howitzer carriage. A good place for modeler drawings is:
web page
Steve

If you go to the LINKS for the forum, in the Paulson Brothers link, under Cannons for sale, there are some good pics of a Wiard cannon carriage.
Rex Devantier

If you go to the LINKS for the forum, in the Paulson Brothers link, under Cannons for sale, there are some good pics of a Wiard cannon carriage.
Rex Devantier

Here are those pictures...

wiard-1.jpg

wiard-8.jpg

wiard-3.jpg

wiard-9.jpg

wiard-6.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I found a couple of the Wiard with the wheel off:
WiardCarriage.jpg

and
WiardCarriage-B.jpg

A very strange carriage. It looks like some sort of futuristic naval carriage is trying to perform an unnatural act with a field carriage. The trail is very low and the axle is also relatively low. I'm going to be starting a new thread with pictures of my firecracker cannon. Your picture confirmed that the elevating screw went through the barrel as I suspected but I didn't bother with my 4th of July special.

Steve

Steve:

I think the elevating screw is the gizmo under the breech, barely discernable in the picture with the barrel horizontal. The slender thingie at the round part of the breech looks like a sight with a bubble level.

Latest posts

Back