• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pictures of my restored 45cal TC Hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took some better photos and added them to my original post of the weathered and worn TC Hawken 45cal that my brother gave to me. Thought I’d put them in a separate post because we all like pictures. I took it to the range yesterday, but by the time I got my Renegade dialed in with the load I want to use for elk hunting, I couldn’t feel my fingers, face or toes. 15 degrees with the wind blowing. That was enough and I packed it up after a few hours. I’ll get this back out when hunting season ends. Anyway, just thought I’d share these photos.

*Nothing in these pictures is supposed to be a specific period, I was just having fun with the camera on a day that I couldn’t get away from the house. Besides, it’s a Thompson Center.
Excellent! Darn near too pretty to hunt with.

I have already made up my mind that when the time comes to refinish my Crockett Rifle that it will be darker like that if at all possible. The shiny brass really sets off the darker wood.

Excellent! Darn near too pretty to hunt with.

I have already made up my mind that when the time comes to refinish my Crockett Rifle that it will be darker like that if at all possible. The shiny brass really sets off the darker wood.
Thank you! Glad I could inspire you to do similar. I really am happy with how the dark wood contrasts with the hardware.

If your interested in lanterns, check out W.T. Kirkman, they are the go to source for vintage style lamps and lanterns, railroad, and saloon. Their Gaudard-Kosmos Oil Lamps are made in France using the same tooling that Gaudard has used since the 1870s. Here is one that I placed between a ship's clock and barometer that I inherited from my Uncle Wayne Burns who was a retired USN CPO.

W.T. Kirkman

View attachment 177227
I love those nautical brass lanterns and other stuff. My wife and I spent 18 months on a small sailboat; no electricity, no refrigeration. It was a hoot and she loved it as much as I did. Brass lamp light on a cool evening is wonderful. If I were younger I would do it again. I have a collection of brass lamps, bells and instruments. Polecat 🦨

I love those nautical brass lanterns and other stuff. My wife and I spent 18 months on a small sailboat; no electricity, no refrigeration. It was a hoot and she loved it as much as I did. Brass lamp light on a cool evening is wonderful. If I were younger I would do it again. I have a collection of brass lamps, bells and instruments. Polecat 🦨
I wish this lantern was the real deal. Just a cheap one I bought at Wally World during a power outage. The real ones are sure nice!

Sir, I'm jealous, just hope you didn't have to fight the skeeters.

Sir, I'm jealous, just hope you didn't have to fight the skeeters.
Skeeters? no. Flies? millions in Mexican ports, especially San Carlos after the native commercial fishermen cleaned fish over the water in the inner harbor. Yikes! Turned our sailboat black. Still loved that place, went back to be the pastor [6 years] of a winter visitor church including many who made their home in San Carlos. About one fourth of the congregation was Canadian. Great people all. Dale

Yeah, but those production rifles are so ho hum....NOT ! Really nice ES. Something about Hawkens....You've got skills my man! I'm getting an old TC 50 like that one day and I'm tempted to try and do that too. If I do I will check in for pointers.

Yeah, but those production rifles are so ho hum....NOT ! Really nice ES. Something about Hawkens....You've got skills my man! I'm getting an old TC 50 like that one day and I'm tempted to try and do that too. If I do I will check in for pointers.
They really do clean up nicely. I almost gave your 50cal the same treatment, but I left it alone. The tarnished brass really is better if you’re planning to use it for hunting. The polished brass stands out like a signal mirror in the sunlight. Lol. If you decide to take yours to this level, I’d be happy to assist with any questions / guidance. It’s time consuming to do it right, but out winters are long. Great winter project.

Outstanding work!!! What's next on your list?
Thank you! As of now, I don’t have any lined up. My current project is acquiring a new Martin Guitar, preferably a D-18. But if I stumble across a beat old old TC for the right price, I would certainly consider giving it a face lift.
*oh, I did restore some old tobacco pipes over the winter.

Attachments

• 73A4B849-B415-4C27-8FFC-04FE0ECF7954.jpeg
    73A4B849-B415-4C27-8FFC-04FE0ECF7954.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 56E01F55-04CF-43F0-B5E2-18A3749F9F38.jpeg
    56E01F55-04CF-43F0-B5E2-18A3749F9F38.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
How does it shoot? If it is grouping well and not fouling, no need to do anything more to the bore. I use Bore Butter regularly and have since it was introduced in the late 1980's to replace Maxi-Lube.

Welcome to the Lube War.
Sadly, I haven’t shot it yet. I finished this one just before muzzleloader elk season, so I put it to the side and then life got in the way. Once it warms up a little, I’ll get this out for some good testing. I’ve never fired a 45cal. I’m really looking forward to it. My plan is to find a light load that would be appropriate for bunnies and squirrel. I squirrels are real tiny around here, but there are snowshoe hares just about everywhere.

Back