• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pictures of my new Pedersoli Traditional Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby James

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The last couple of days I have posted about my new rifle that I got for dirt cheap. It is priced at $449 but I bought it for $241 because it had a small chip on the corner of the butt caused in shipping, it has never been sold and returned but it is new.

Here I am going to post a few pictures. It is .54 cal and next payday I will be getting balls or a mold and lead. I have 10 pounds of real powder and lots of tins of #11 Remington caps and I have a 3'x3' of that .018 blue striped cloth to make patches. Next I want to buy a Maple stock for Pedersoli to replace this one. I am kind of happy the wood is chipped on this rifle so I do not have to baby it. I have no problems with scratching it and next week it will be going into the brush and woods with me.

First a good look at the right side.

This is the chip that caused me to get it for cheap.

Now the left side.

Now the sights. I like them but I want buck horn sites more.

They do turn red at night.

Good buy. I wouldn't spend the money on a replacement stock. That chip wouldn't be noticed by a man running for his life. It is part of the story of the life of the rifle. Consider it a beauty mark. A little sanding to round the edges might make it less obvious.
Shoot and enjoy. Don't fret the little stuff.

Thanks for the advise. I do believe I will keep it as is.

Is it common to have so much space between the barrel and the front sight ramp?

Does Pedersoli make a good lock?

What kind of bluing is this, it is dark black. At first touch it feels parkerized but once you rub it with your finger it turns smooth so its not parkerized but some kind of thick blue.

Not necessarily, no, but sometimes.

Yes, generally, I think quite so.

Bluing... Italian?

VERY nice rifle i have a PEDERSOLI rocky mountain hawken with a maple stock 50 cal. Beautiful rifle.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can get a Pedersoli maple stock for that model anyway. I believe that one is only made in walnut. Only the Rocky Mountain and Missouri River models are available with a Figured Maple stock and those stocks would not fit.

Pedersoli makes good guns and you should get a lot of mileage out of yours for the money paid. Enjoy!

I am guessing this is a cheaper entry level rifle just being sent out. I notice it is not on Pedersoli's web page and Cabela's is advertising it as NEW.

I notice I only have one wedge on the barrel to stock and I notice it is not a traditional snail where the cap goes. What design is this rifle based after? Is this just a cheaper way to put a nipple on?

Regardless I am going to shoot the heck out of this thing.

It sure looks like my Investarms rifle!

Anyway Acur-Glass comes with a dark pigment and it would match that stock!

Geo. T.

Geo T said:
Anyway Acur-Glass comes with a dark pigment and it would match that stock!

Geo. T.

Good call. I agree. Screw in a small brass wood screw into the exposed wood. To give the epoxy something to hold on to and fill in that chiped area with Acraglas Gel. I feel that would work just fine.
Andy
Long time firearm builder. First time muzzle loader.

I was in Cabela's and saw a Missouri River Hawken that was in the bargain cave. I think it was something like 250 or 300 dollars. It had a 1:24 twist. At the time I didn't think about it much. I would like to try one out with my Paper Patched bullets now. Ron

Spikebuck said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can get a Pedersoli maple stock for that model anyway. I believe that one is only made in walnut. Only the Rocky Mountain and Missouri River models are available with a Figured Maple stock...

Note that the Frontier (which they named the gun when they took over making the Hatfield) can also be had in Maple and the Deluxe Frontier Maple w/patchbox. Beautiful rifles!

Alden said:
Spikebuck said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can get a Pedersoli maple stock for that model anyway. I believe that one is only made in walnut. Only the Rocky Mountain and Missouri River models are available with a Figured Maple stock...

Note that the Frontier (which they named the gun when they took over making the Hatfield) can also be had in Maple and the Deluxe Frontier Maple w/patchbox. Beautiful rifles!

Yes, that's correct. I was referring to their Hawken models only. The Frontier in maple is gorgeous, and I think for the price one could have a semi-custom made in the U.S.!

Like a TVM Early Virginia? Had I known better at the time... I probably would have gone with the Pedersoli Frontier Maple!

Since then I have quite a few built guns including w/handmade locks, from others, as well as old Hatfields and more Pedersolis.

This Pedersoli Hawken looks like it has the drum and cap lock design of the Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Dixie Pa., Cub, Scout and a few others.

The drum threads should match the vent threads of the flint model, I believe M8-1.25 size (TOTW has them), and the KY style flint lock should directly replace the cap lock with no inletting.

If you would like it to be flint, and you or a shooting Partner has a Pedersoli Kentucky flint or cap rifle or pistol, check swapping them. It will tell you for sure!

The chip on the stock is a very easy repair.
A small piece of walnut similar in grain glued to the stock, then carefully sanded ( masking tape on stock tight to the new piece) then stained.
Good quality wood glue on stock and new piece.
Sand the stock at the chip flat, and sand the new piece flat, so that stock and new piece fit perfectly.
If you can't do this yourself, any cabinet shop near you can do this easily.
Fred

Yup. I have the same gun. Good shooter, up to the point that I loaded it without powder...... :redface:

I need a ball puller.

I really like the dark stain on the stock, I hope to do my Kentucky kit in a dark stain like that.

cigarman said:
I really like the dark stain on the stock, I hope to do my Kentucky kit in a dark stain like that.

I was just at Cabela's and they had another one like mine on the rack but it was in .50 cal but the stock was almost blond and not dark like mine. I may have lucked out and just got a really good stain on mine as I was not impressed with the one I just seen on the rack.

I like the darker stain also and I hope to find out what is used so I can use the same on future rebuilds.

It has as much to do with the piece of wood as stain/finish. That looks like the same grain on Pedersoli KY and PA rifles, which is a dark European walnut to start.

I would guess, but could be wrong, and yep, I have been :grin: , that if you look inside the inletted areas, you might find that wood is not stained, or not much, and is just oiled dark walnut!

Latest posts

Back