• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pictures of hunting wheellocks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
thumbnail_IMG_7399.jpg
Below are pictures posted for Rudyard.
He will be along shortly to explain them.

Best,
Richard.
thumbnail_IMG_7397.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7398.jpg

Thank you Pukka The pics show me sans head after ten days wandering the Nelson NZ ranges Takaka up the Anitoki into the Wianaro cut over to the Roaring lion up the Karamea Lesley over the Wilkinson into Baton river cut over into main Crow ,Taylor stream , Kiwi saddle & out via Wangapeka .. Nice little 'Tiki tour' . 45 Douglas brl rest me. Rifle by the Darling river shot a roo for tucker . Last one me up in Richmond ranges trying to get a camera shy Beagle to get his picture took typical 'Bower' camp same rifle has a lot of bush miles on it from which has given me an understanding of such guns The hut is Kings old hut by the Wangapeka an old time miners hut I was in there boiling a billy for tea when a German Tramper looked in I offered him tea but he declined . Possibly thought of Defoes "I was now a most formidable fellow ". Could be my after shave ?who knows he took off . Note quill in vent & rod in bore.
Regards Rudyard

Iv'e spent a bit of time in that country myself Rudyard. Usually ten day Stints. but wasn't carrying a smokepole tho.

Thank you Chris. White bits are stag & old Ivory, Butt plate is horn & has a horn ball to set it on as you load , Stock is Maple from Vancouver Island Lock is copied from original I took to India needed a lot of rebuild .Style is 1660s Suhl German. Dogs name was 'Banjo.' Pretty hopeless as a hunting dog but good as an extra blanket on cold nights . Regards Rudyard

Thats why they named the band Three Dog Night I guess... good to have friend to trust on cold nights.
I bought a pair of antlers to do inlays but they are very grey. Not nice at all. From Bolek's posts I think fresh cowbone might be nicer looking!

Yes I suppose its like Whitney point blankets . The down side is unlike Whitney blankets Beagle's tend to chase pigs in their sleep . Being a pack animal single ones are ever keen to race ahead so pretty hopeless but good company and his heart was as big as a mountain . Not much fond of river crossings or waterfalls but very good at eating up any spare or not tied down food .Smoked Eels just disappeared down his capasious gullet, Good keen dog alright very grey antler sounds like old stuff generally its good & white , Bones vary I inletted a Turkish piece and a lot of the bone took a yellow tinge while others came out good Ide trust stag more though bone should work .How they green tinted it .no idea but I'de like to know .Sounds like your making such guns good on you .
Regards Rudyard

.How they green tinted it .no idea but I'de like to know .Sounds like your making such guns good on you .
The green tinted bone/staghorn featured in discussions in the FB group about matchlocks and wheellocks. No-one had the good info. It sure looks lovely as a detail colour on inlaid crossbows or wheellocks.
I WANT to be a builder but run out of puff on projects and end up tiling bathrooms or mending baby gear instead. At least I have a great family for it!

Rudyard,If that is you with Gordon, you look older an I an I' got som ears on ey But weem syill got our air an chin fluff. Never built one but still have the Journal Vorlag drawing book from 1974 that Rudi sent me. If there are enough years left I may still ave a goo. Finding good Pyritees is a bit of a problem. Where can I mine it in UK ?? OLD DOG..

Dear Greenswlde .Yes its me not my best side . I'me only 75 but I've a lot of miles on the clock you might say ,Throw in a few tropical fevers tick bite ,malairia , black water, & a burst appendix probably didn't help. But one must have a few souveneirs and they where free . But I've lived, if they shot me tomorrow ide have lived three ordinary lives .I'me still lucid and making muzzle loaders getting close to the 200 mark and all very different sorts & periods & wrote a lot of articles . Two fine Daughters 17 & 19.My wife had something to do with that .Still on SAR & CD and served as Councillor for this Village . Cant spell worth a hoot but then Pobodies Nerfect . Pyrites is a problem it varies I've used the gold looking brittle stuff from Gem shops but there seems to be square grey stuff My guess is once when W locks where common. A source shipped it throughout Europe . Bolec's stuff seems to work unfailingly & it looks gray & square if all else fails you can make a spare lock made as early flintlock so pyrites is not a problem which is what ime doing currently . My findings are you can maybe get through a 13 shot match and hunting is less problem, But shooting clays would be tedius ( assumeing your guns smooth bore ).
Cheers & Regards Rudyard

I put up a post on the FB group noting that I work in a pyrite mine that has 'a few impurities'. Unfortunately the grains are very small and mostly not useful. However I have been lucky and there are places it is massive sulphide. I am trying to get some good pieces to test when I build my lock. I got some nice 10-12mm cubes at a mineral stall at the markets for about $10-12 maybe twelve years ago. eBay should have lots like that.

Yes the grey slabs, I bought some not tried them .Working in a pyrite mine you'v got a box seat.! It does seem to vary greatly but then so do most minerals All good stuff . Your course with Mystro Bolec should clinch this puzzle
.Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back