• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Picture of recovered 54 cal. Round ball and patch from my first Flintlock doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If anyone wonders the effectiveness of a 54 round ball check out the pictures! The doe was hit at 30 yards with 70 grains FF Goex and hit broadside. The roundball went through the rib cage on left side, through heart/ lungs, through rib cage on right side and stopped just under the skin on the right side. I hand cast my own balls and this one weighed 222 grains when poured. After the recovery it weighed 220.5 grains with a nice mushroom shape. The deer went about 50 yards. The patch I recovered also from the same shot.

Attachments

• Deer and roundball & patch 006.JPG
    Deer and roundball & patch 006.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Deer and roundball & patch 007.JPG
    Deer and roundball & patch 007.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Deer and roundball & patch 008.JPG
    Deer and roundball & patch 008.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Deer and roundball & patch 009.JPG
    Deer and roundball & patch 009.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Other than guns that WILL NOT shoot round balls, they work just fine on almost anything you'd care to shoot at with 'em. It really comes down to where you hit 'em and that you hit 'em rather than what you hit 'em with. Knew a veterinarian once that regularly hunted with a .45 PRB. His freezer was never empty.

I had about the same results out of my Kentucky rifle. 50+ yards on a nice bodied 8 piont. 60 grains of Tripple7 FFFG. I lost a little bit of the round ball mass due to some shearing off as it went through the jaw.

Attachments

• 4D255D2D-479D-45EF-A861-E52928B65D6D.jpeg
    4D255D2D-479D-45EF-A861-E52928B65D6D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
If anyone wonders the effectiveness of a 54 round ball check out the pictures! The doe was hit at 30 yards with 70 grains FF Goex and hit broadside. The roundball went through the rib cage on left side, through heart/ lungs, through rib cage on right side and stopped just under the skin on the right side. I hand cast my own balls and this one weighed 222 grains when poured. After the recovery it weighed 220.5 grains with a nice mushroom shape. The deer went about 50 yards. The patch I recovered also from the same shot.
Very effective, patch looks good.

The .54 caliber patched round ball that I shot a six-point buck with at about 40 yards went right through the ribcage and lungs of the deer. It knocked him right off his feet and he rolled. He did not get up. I was using a Thompson Center Seneca.

The .54 caliber patched round ball that I shot a six-point buck with at about 40 yards went right through the ribcage and lungs of the deer. It knocked him right off his feet and he rolled. He did not get up. I was using a Thompson Center Seneca.
Um... the T/C Seneca was made only in .32, .36 and .45... unless I am mistaken. The lock and stock I have certainly could not manage a .54. Perhaps you have a Hawken or Renegade?

Yep, Mr Erhunter. Nice get there👍. Wonderful image of the flattened round ball too, showing individual hair imprints on the soft lead where it initially struck the hide. The 54 is an exceptional hunting ball. Mind, as many have acknowledged, so are the smaller calibres, used within their ethical limitations. Thanks for sending those images in; adding depth to your hunting narrative for sure.

This wild dog was shot as it came into water; 54 again, through and through, a bit thinner than a deer, and this a lean specimen. These dogs cause havoc in the calving season, killing new-born and chawing off the milky teats of the females.

Cheers, Pete

C23.jpeg

Congrats on the kill and recovery of the RB.

I had about the same results out of my Kentucky rifle. 50+ yards on a nice bodied 8 piont. 60 grains of Tripple7 FFFG. I lost a little bit of the round ball mass due to some shearing off as it went through the jaw.
Another good one. Good deal!

Back