• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pics of Leather ties or straps on a Walker ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered another Walker to replace one I sold years ago, in fact made it a pair while I was at it.

The lever drop has become like an historical quirk on these, my Dragoon also drops the lever.

Instead of filing a flat spot on the lever retaining spring, I'd like to use the historically correct "leather thong " method. Does anyone have any pics of an historically correct style for this?

I use a historically correct rubber O-ring.

100_6643.JPG
100_6646.JPG

That actually might work just for casual range popping or working up a load, I was just looking to see a representative of this famous "leather thong " fix

Jest havin' a little fun! The loading lever on my Uberti Dragoon drops down when I shoot full power loads. I read in the www that in days of yore, the solution was to use a strip of rawhide. I tried that, but then I could barely see the front sight, so I presumed the rawhide in the old days was very thin.

Then I saw on this forum somewhere a guy used an O-ring to retain the lever. It seemed like a brilliant solution. I tried it, and it worked great!

I keep a few spare O-rings in my range box, but so far I am still on my first one from last summer.

way before the use of O RINGS for this purpose, we would use ELASTIC RUBBER BANDS. THEY CAME 100+ TO A BOX. WORKED GREAT AND STILL USE THEM.

I found these pics recently on the www. I don't know if anything like this was ever actually made in days of yore, but it certainly could have been made using the technology available at the time.

I'll stick with my rubber O-ring for now, but this would be a good historically viable alternative. I might make one at a later time...

walker bbl1.jpg

walkerbbl2.jpg

Last edited:
I use a historically correct rubber O-ring.

View attachment 52663View attachment 52664
Looks like a hair tie. I've got two girls with long hair and have seen more than one household item secured in such a fashion. Back when I coached girls softball I always had a supply in my backpack. When asked about them I said "they're for when I want to feel oh-so-pretty."

I found these pics recently on the www. I don't know if anything like this was ever actually made in days of yore, but it certainly could have been made using the technology available at the time.

I'll stick with my rubber O-ring for now, but this would be a good historically viable alternative. I might make one at a later time...

View attachment 58462
View attachment 58463

Someone please make and sell these

Back