• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pickets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What molds have you used for "picket" bullets in your rifles?

I don't know what type of rifle you intend to use a picket in, but I don't know of any modern source of picket molds. One could be custom-made, but you would have to specify the dimensions and weight you want. Original picket molds are found occasionally, but as each one was made for a specific rifle, in a time when each maker had his own standards, it is unlikely you will find one which closely matches your needs. For my own Charles Foehl Philadelphia schuetzen rifle, which is a nominal .38, I decided the best solution was to make a set of swage dies, and use 3/8" bullet core wire, which saves having to cast the bullet first - original pickets were most often cast and then swaged. I recommend a baseband picket, and that the diameter of the baseband should be not more than about .003" smaller than bore diameter (full bore diameter is good, too, with a thin, strong patch material). If your barrel is turned for a guide starter, you will want to make one shaped to fit the bullet. If your rifle does not have the turned muzzle, you will want a straight starter with the same type tip - in either case, the bullet MUST be started straight if it is to shoot at all well.
Good luck - pickets are an adventure!

mhb - MIke

Some have used .40 caliber pistol molds successfully. I'm looking forwards to trying out Ideal #40143 after several past flops.
.45 pistol molds have worked well in a rebored TC.

Got a set of Ideal #454190 blocks for cheap to try out. Some day will end up paper patching the bullets.

Latest posts

Back