• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pickering Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
I just got my order from ToTW and let me tell you
their Pickering tool (small) fits my Chambers Late ketland lock, like it was made for it.

If any of you are looking for a good flinter combo tool, check this out.

I wasnt a big fan of ToTW, but thier cheap postage and quality stuff, has made me a happy shooter.

tool-pick-s_1.jpg
Tool

I rarely pick mine. Im one of those blown down the barrel types. I can hear that its clear.

If not I happen to carry a quill that I use.

I fitted it to my insert, and buzzed a tad off the end to make it nice and loose.

The screwdriver parts work fantastic on the lock

Alot of the old vent picks were copper or brass--they are too soft to hurt the vent hole, but hardened steel sure could over time. I make vent picks out of heavy gauge brass and copper wire--real easy to do--cut off a proper length, bend a loop in one end and taper/sharpen the other to fit your vent hole...the copper ones bend easily and get out of shape, but are easily replaced. They were often called "priming wires".

I'd cut that "pick" part off. It'll raise the very devil with your hand when you rummage in a bag. And being tempted to use it as a vent pick is a very bad thing.

Back