• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picked up another TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a 50 cal T C Hawken that I picked up for a song and a dance. I stripped all the brass off that stock, removed the barrel tang then the sanding started. When done, I applied Birchwood Casey to the stock and then allowed it to dry. more sanding and another application of Birchwood then I cleaned up all the brass fittings. when all was said and done, I'm pretty happy with the way that stock turned out.
792CE8E9-B783-45E0-AD1B-57FD0E9A9AAF.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got rambunctious and gave that stock another coat of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. I'm at a crossroads with regard to the stock. Should I give it a final sanding with the aim of a high luster or leave it with a mat appearance? I was told that I can give the stock a "burnished" look by rubbing the wood with an antler. Oh so many choices...

I have refinished 3 TC stocks, first off it is important to seal the wood first, I use Birchwood Casey walnut sealer. I apply a coat, which dries almost instantly and sand it back to bare wood. I repeat this procedure 4 or 5 times until the grain pores are filled. Next I apply Tru-oil with a small piece of green Scotchbright pad and scrub the finish in to further fill the pores, I use a clean piece of scotch bright pad for each coat. I wipe off any excess finish with a clean rag right after I apply it. Again, it usually takes 5 or 6 coats of Tru-oil to get the finish I want, it won't be a shiny finish but a nice satin low luster finish.

I just finished reworking this TC stock, I am on about coat #3 at this stage.

finish truoil coat 3.JPG

Done, not your typical shiny TC stock.

done cheekside.JPG

Next time sand with the brass on the stock. It will make an even better job.

Nice find, have fun.

Nice job 👍🏻

A couple months ago I picked up a TC Hawken and did the same thing you did. I know alot of folks like the "antiqued" look to the steel and brass, but I like shiney things and went after the brass with some Mother's Mag polish and refinished the stock with the Birchwood Casey kit. I did apply one coat of undiluted walnuts stain before applying my 6 coats of Tru-oil, buffing with 0000 steel wool between coats.

I'm not the accomplished and gifted woodworker that Eric is, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220319_145209913~2.jpg
    IMG_20220319_145209913~2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220319_145209913.jpg
    IMG_20220319_145209913.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
Back