• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Picked up an underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never been attracted to the underhammers, but had the opportunity yesterday to pick up a .36 Hopkins and Allen underhammer. It is the longer one (the Offhand iirc). I got it with some shooting supplies and a fringed sleeve. I am not sure that I am going to keep it, but I don't have a .36, so it was calling to me....

I really liked the .36 H&A underhammer rifle I had, and even kept the forend in storage after I removed it from the gun to more closely resemble an 1800's target rifle (although I used it on Squills).

12499937_2.jpg

I only sold it because I tripped over a .36 T/C Seneca that I liked more...…..

I have never been attracted to the underhammers, but had the opportunity yesterday to pick up a .36 Hopkins and Allen underhammer. It is the longer one (the Offhand iirc). I got it with some shooting supplies and a fringed sleeve. I am not sure that I am going to keep it, but I don't have a .36, so it was calling to me....
I have one and an action for another and believe them to be one of the most under rated rifle models in existence. They have a lot of advantages one being direct ignition into the main charge from the nipple.
They are ideal for bench guns and hunting rifles used in rainy weather with the nipple down positioning.

Underhammer1.jpg
Underhammer2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics. Was in a hurry to get out of the house for work. No idea why the camera inverted them, but rushing out the door to service a facility. My life is rushing everywhere it seems...

Latest posts

Back