• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picked up a most curious original powder flask. It's made from a, err, camel part!?!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thought this may be of interest to some of you.
Picked up this flask which is made from a camel's scrotum.
I think it is missing the plug. You can see in the leather strap where something bore on it.
It has flower designs punched into it. Post mortem I expect:dunno:
Shame its not big enough to fit them lead spheres inside.
I have been invited camel hunting. I should use it, or is that just weird?

P1080541.JPGP1080542.JPG

:)

Didn't need it. But I couldn't resist for the price and being just odd.
Can't see myself making one.
Thinking about it, the thing probably came back as a souvenir from 1 of the 2 big wars. or before. Be interesting to know.
I am told the Arab never threw away a weapon so they would carry a powder horn with there M98.
Used to know a man who ran guns into the middle East during the 30's and he told me that he got invited on a raid.
He said it was the strangest thing.
Both parties lined up and emptied there guns then drew swords and ran in!!!
He only went raiding once.

Thought this may be of interest to some of you.
Picked up this flask which is made from a camel's scrotum.
I think it is missing the plug. You can see in the leather strap where something bore on it.
It has flower designs punched into it. Post mortem I expect:dunno:
Shame its not big enough to fit them lead spheres inside.
I have been invited camel hunting. I should use it, or is that just weird?

View attachment 52788View attachment 52789

:)
A bit smaller than most scrotum bags I have seen. Must be for a smaller caliber. But as they
say, it's not the size ............

That is too cool! I don’t know about taking it camel hunting...that thing about Karma being a b***h and all that. I wouldn’t take the chance...just sayin’!!

Description of a similar use of the scrotum of the buffalo by Hidatsa Indians, mid-19th century:

Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden: As Recounted by Maxi'diwiac (Buffalo Bird Woman) (ca.1839-1932) of the Hidatsa Indian Tribe. Originally published as Agriculture of the Hidatsa Indians: An Indian Interpretation. Edited by Gilbert Livingstone Wilson, 1868-1930. Minneapolis: The University of Minnesota (Studies in the Social Sciences, #9), 1917. Ph. D. Thesis.

"The Scrotum Basket

"I have said that we used a basket made of the scrotum of a buffalo bull, for picking tobacco blossoms.

"A fresh scrotum was taken, and a rim or hoop of choke-cherry wood was bound around its mouth; choke-cherry limbs are flexible and easily bent. The hoop was sewed in place with sinew passing through the skin and around the hoop spirally.

"A thong was bound at either end to opposite sides of the hoop, and the whole was hung upon the drying stage, or at the entrance to the earth lodge in the sun. The skin was then filled with sand until dry, when it was emptied, the thong removed, and a band, or leather handle, was bound on one side of the hoop, at places a few inches apart, and the basket was ready for use.

"The scrotum is the toughest part of the buffalo's hide. When dried it is as hard and rigid as wood."
figure-39.gif

Spence

Hadn't seem a camel scrotum but had a possible bag made fro a buffalo scrotum.

Description of a similar use of the scrotum of the buffalo by Hidatsa Indians, mid-19th century:

Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden: As Recounted by Maxi'diwiac (Buffalo Bird Woman) (ca.1839-1932) of the Hidatsa Indian Tribe. Originally published as Agriculture of the Hidatsa Indians: An Indian Interpretation. Edited by Gilbert Livingstone Wilson, 1868-1930. Minneapolis: The University of Minnesota (Studies in the Social Sciences, #9), 1917. Ph. D. Thesis.

"The Scrotum Basket

"I have said that we used a basket made of the scrotum of a buffalo bull, for picking tobacco blossoms.

"A fresh scrotum was taken, and a rim or hoop of choke-cherry wood was bound around its mouth; choke-cherry limbs are flexible and easily bent. The hoop was sewed in place with sinew passing through the skin and around the hoop spirally.

"A thong was bound at either end to opposite sides of the hoop, and the whole was hung upon the drying stage, or at the entrance to the earth lodge in the sun. The skin was then filled with sand until dry, when it was emptied, the thong removed, and a band, or leather handle, was bound on one side of the hoop, at places a few inches apart, and the basket was ready for use.

"The scrotum is the toughest part of the buffalo's hide. When dried it is as hard and rigid as wood."
View attachment 52816

Spence
tough because it chafes' between his hind legs all of his life! how ever long that maybe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back