• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pick My Lock! :D

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey! :patriot:

Going to have TVM ( http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/tennessee-rifle ) build me a percussion long rifle. They have a couple different lock style. Which should I get for a Tennessee rifle?

Siler (early percussion conversion type)

lock-ss-cl-rh_1.jpg

Mountain lock:

lock-sm-cl-rh_1.jpg

Which do you think would look better on the gun? Both are HC locks as far as I know.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands down I'd pick the mountain lock for the SMR every time. It is a good lock and fits the SMR architecture better. Try looking at originals and most likely they will have a rounded tail lock than the Germanic pointy tail lock on them. :v

A Tennessee rifle will almost never be found with a pointed tail lock like the Siler.

Using a Siler flintlock I converted to percussion on the Tennessee rifle I built is the only incorrect thing on the gun.

TEN1 by James, on Flickr

Use the round tail Mountain lock.

Ayup. I thought the Siler, that is a fine looking lock, looked best on the slim lines of a SMR. Since then I have yet to see an original SMR with a German style lock on it. The Dur Egg style is seen, or the Barret style lock plate, round or with a small tang.
I like my SMR but that Siler mocks me.
I’ve seen SMR in silver, iron and brass,silver and iron, fancy shaped side plates, fine maple and plane beech, but never with a German style lock.
As Rifleman says it is your gun, but to be as correct as you can avoid the better looks of the Siler.

I've got two Siler locks on the only two flints I own. I'm not a slave to authenticity and for me, looks trump dyed-in-the-wool tradition. I like the pointy end on the Silers. That's just me, but I'm not a traditionalist. Go with what you want and don't worry about it.

Like zug said, it's about the architecture. Even if you don't care about authenticity the mountain lock fits the architecture of the Tennessee rifle which extends beyond the lock panels. Look at the picture on the TVM website and see how the panel and wrist blend.

But I'll agree with the others, it's your rifle and your money.

Back