• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pic of the full length of this old rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
This is a rifle I've been posting about. I took the picture with the flash, so I hope you guys can see it. I'm working to take a better picture right now. I really hope this pic comes through on this post.
IMG_20210926_115840429.jpg

It looks more like an English scroll guard half stock rifle. Interesting that it has relatively flat shot gun style butt plate and a drum rather than a snail for the percussion nipple. It appears to have a nice pewter nose cap. The style is like a Henry scroll guard rifle. A Henry would have plenty of identifying stamps so I don't think that it's 150 years old.

What's the material for the butt plate, trigger guard, and thimbles for the ramrod? The trigger guard appears to be brass.

Any markings inside the lock plate?

It's hard to see how many wedges or pins are holding the barrel in the stock. I think I see two.

It looks more like an English scroll guard half stock rifle. Interesting that it has relatively flat shot gun style butt plate and a drum rather than a snail for the percussion nipple. It appears to have a nice pewter nose cap. The style is like a Henry scroll guard rifle. A Henry would have plenty of identifying stamps so I don't think that it's 150 years old.

What's the material for the butt plate, trigger guard, and thimbles for the ramrod? The trigger guard appears to be brass.

Any markings inside the lock plate?

It's hard to see how many wedges or pins are holding the barrel in the stock. I think I see two.
Thank you for the reassurance that it's probably not some old old antique. It has a steel butt plate which I hope appears in the pic I posted. I'm reluctant to scratch or file a bit of the finish on the trigger guard to find out what's under it, but it is mounted with two fasteners to a narrow steel plate that is let in to the stock. The front fastener is a pin, and the rear fastener is a screw with a slotted head that runs up from under the plate, holding onto the trigger guard with torque only.
IMG_20210927_093738621.jpg
o nut to secure it. Because of its subtle color, It sure looks to me, though it proves
nothing, that the trigger guard is made of brass. The gun came with a recently hand-made hickory ramrod. I also tried to post a picture with a view of the top of the rifle a few inches behind the lock, that shows an inletted shield-like plain pewter figure.

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_093738621.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 20
    57.8 KB · Views: 21
    57.8 KB · Views: 20
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
Too late now. I already sanded the breech plugs and a bit of the rear of the barrel with 320 grit sandpaper. That brought out the unusual markings on the breech plug. It would be hard to convince me this gun has any intrinsic value other than as a no-name no-maker modern replica trade gun worth about $200. But I'm going to show it to an expert just in case.

This is a rifle I've been posting about. I took the picture with the flash, so I hope you guys can see it. I'm working to take a better picture right now. I really hope this pic comes through on this post.View attachment 96036
I don't know what it is but I like it. Would not be ashamed to have one like it in my small collection.

Back