• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Photo in uniform

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had this ferrotype taken by Wm. Dunniway with an original CW era camera:

suvcwenhanced.jpg

Here's a shot of the photo being taken...due to the heat, the chemicals were not reacting correctly..it took three attempts over a 30 minute period!
73bb1fbe.jpg

Here's a link to the photographer, who provides a primer about ambrotype and ferrotype photography: Link
:v

I have to tell you that it was an interesting process...He has a vintage device that helps hold you in proper position in the event the photo has to be retaken (he then does not have to reset the camera, etc). It is made of a cast iron stand with a telescoping pole. At the top are two tubular doohickies that adjust to touch the sides of your head in order to hold you in position.

The colors of the painted background appear to be wrong but somehow help with depth and shading when printed in B/W or sepia.

Last of all, in most of his photos he will have a small item (book, jug, etc) that has his name cryprically written on it to keep his photos from being sold as REAL antiques (see his website for more info).

Here is a photo of the Sons of Union Veterans and the Sons of Conferedate Veterans, taken in Fresno in 2004...looks authentic!

fresno.jpg

The photos look very much like the photos that
you see in many books on the CW. NICE!
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

if everything is reversed,then would the guy on the left be on the right and the guy on the right be on the left? if so,then where would the guy in the middle be? :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

coehornboy said:
I had this ferrotype taken by Wm. Dunniway with an original CW era camera:

suvcwenhanced.jpg

:v
Nice picture!But it is so good it has to be original,ancestor maybe? :hmm: Just kidding!

Back