• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Philly Derringers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone own a Philadelphia Derringer?
74-C8513-B-D3-A7-4-AAB-AA0-E-7-ED2-CBC9829-E.webp

If so, are they fun to shoot? Trying to decide if I want one to mess around with in the woods. Thoughts?

I’ve shot one a few times. Years ago a club I belonged to had “under the table shoots.” The contestant sat at a table held a derringer under the table where they couldn’t see it and shot at a target about 5 or 6 yards away. Hitting it accurately was harder than one would imagine.

We used to have such derringer shoots as well.We had a 'Bad Bart' figure with an animatronic arm that would raise ind 'shoot' you if you wern't fast enough and accurate enough. The contestant had to hold down Bart's starter button, yell something like 'ya cheatin' varmint', then release the button (with his shooting hand) grab and cock,'aim' and fire in the 2 seconds or so it took Bart's hand to rise and his gun to 'fire'. Lots, of fun, but many of those little guns wouldn't put a ball through the 1/4" plywood figure, and a bunch of shooters missed it entirely from 4 feet away.

I got one but it isn't presently in working order. I need to either inlet the lock a little more or bend the hammer. The alignment isn't "dead on" between the nipple and the hammer and it sometimes misfires. It did operate fairly well at one time and yes they are fun to shoot.I'm guessing my grandson or nephew dropped it and bent the hammer.I don't have a torch and I'm leery about trying to bend the hammer cold, CVA hammers tend to break fairly easy.

Last edited:
In the 60's I would buy the Dixie Philly Derringer kits and assemble them and sell them. They were ok as a novelty but that was all - shoot them a few times and then put it away for a LONG time. Your milage may vary :dunno:

I have one. I used it to shoot in one of those gambler across the card table deals too. I even hit a 12” or 14” metal gong, a hundred yards away with it. It was all pure rainbow shot and a Hail Mary… :cool:

When you cannot hit an opponent 4 feet away under the table you deserve to be killed for the attempt IMHO. A derringer shot to the nuts, pelvis or stomach was a kill shot in the day when followed up by a dagger it was certain
If mine were more dependable and fired everytime I wouldn't be hesitant about using it for self-defence.It fits in the pocket real well, It's a large caliber and you could always throw it at the attacker like they do in movies. I'm pretty sure it would "bewilder" the arresting officer and judge too.

If mine were more dependable and fired everytime I wouldn't be hesitant about using it for self-defence.It fits in the pocket real well, It's a large caliber and you could always throw it at the attacker like they do in movies. I'm pretty sure it would "bewilder" the arresting officer and judge too.
It even looks "scary ", if you ever had one pointed in your direction you'd swear you could drop a silver dollar down the muzzle.

My first BP gun was a CVA derringer I built from a kit. It came out nice and got me started building guns. I only shot it a few times because there seemed to be a leak between the breech plug and barrel. There was a distinct discoleration alomg the joint.

Does anyone own a Philadelphia Derringer?
74-C8513-B-D3-A7-4-AAB-AA0-E-7-ED2-CBC9829-E.webp

If so, are they fun to shoot? Trying to decide if I want one to mess around with in the woods. Thoughts?
yes I do. I have 6 of them, all different in subtle little differences. but all the same. I load them with 10 GRS of 3 fg. and a wad of paper and a RB, and a wad over it =. a lot of fu shooting them. and very fast clean up with the short barrels.

Back