• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Philadelphia derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never had much interest in BP handguns, besides revolvers. However, I would like to own a Philadelphia derringer (like the one Booth used to kill Lincoln). I would buy a nice used one or build one, either from a kit of from pieces. Any comments and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Not really advice, but maybe some inspiration for you. A couple of pictures of one I recently completed.
20200223_152834.jpg
20200223_135828.jpg

I might be building another at some point, I have most of the parts. If I do I will keep you in mind.

Question-would any of the non-firing, but otherwise functioning replicas provide parts, like perhaps the lock and stock for use in building a firing replica? Just wondering.

Like Jeff before me, no real advice. I just want to show off a project I'm working on. I misplaced the tenon pin plates so I made a set out of an old belt buckle. Some day I'll get around to ordering a replacement set of plates.
20200531_221102.jpg

You might be able to find an old CVA kit and start with that. I haven’t checked, but Dixie Gun Works sells, or used to sell finished pistols and kits.

Nice pistol Jeff. Someone gave my fatherinlaw one a few years ago with a broken trigger, I made a trigger for it at my forge. We shot it quite a bit. I got so good with it I could hit a five gallon bucket with it at four paces. Definitely a short, ( point-blank), range weapon. I'd hate to depend on it for self defense.
Dave

I just purchased one, have not shot it yet,I got a good deal on it, I would look around, even if you buy one and have to customize it to your liking, fun little gun. Mine is CVA out of the 70’s, saw one in Gunbroker for like $120 earlier this week.

What's the quality of Dikar reproductions like? I'm buying one. I probably won't shoot it often. But I will shoot it occasionally and keep it for "show and tell." Thanks.

Jukar makes a decent for the times gun that was functional and OK for use, and CVA used to import a lot of their stuff. My first ML was a CVA Kentucky kit. Shot umpteen squirrels, 'coons, 'possums and other critters with it. Brother Tiny had a P derringer that he packed and shot religiously for years. Beats 4 aces.

I don't have a Deringer, but I do have a similar little 6"bbl pocket pistol from a Spanish kit 1970s. Flint converted to percussion. Cool fact- my old .44mag bullets fit the .45bbl with a thin patch! and hit stuff at 15 feet. Without keyholing, if you believe that. 20gr FFFG is Plenty! Actually, a .38Spl case is my fancy powder measure. Fun little Possibles Bag gun, at Rondys I leave it empty and hand it over to start a conversation with another shooter. Fun little conversation piece. Tinhorn

Saman did you do the checkering yourself? I would like to do that to mine, but not sure I have that kind of talent.

During the Covid Shutdown . . . I pulled out a CVA derringer my dad and I built in the late 70's when I was a kid . . . It didn't look that great to me now that I have been into muzzleloading in recent years . . . I refinished it with Febings (?) leather dye and got out my round files I give it a rounded lock panel in the back on both sides . . . It needs a sight, but it's really just a momento. . . but I like how it looks now over the regular old way it was it was for 40 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
If I get real bored again, I may work on the nose, it's kind of fat . . .

Latest posts

Back