• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Philadelphia derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, here are a couple of pictures you were looking for. I have always been fascinated with Deringer pistols. I have three different books of them to study and appreciate the different sizes they were made in. It seems as if there were more counterfeit made than the original, some even exceeding the workmanship of their namesake. These are just a small sample of the variety of butt styles they were built with. These pictures were taken off the internet not out of my books.

Attachments

• P1090554.JPG
    P1090554.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 118
  • P1090619.JPG
    P1090619.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 112
  • P1090620.JPG
    P1090620.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 111
View attachment 35416
What I want to do is make my derringer look like Booth's gun. That means some checkering, darker finish, and apparently a butt cap. I'm looking for a pic of the back of the Booth gun to see what the butt cap/back strap looks like.
I don't recall seeing a picture of the bottom view of Booths gun. Does it have a butt cap?

I had no idea Booth's gun was so "fancy". I had always thought of it a more "plain Jane", checkered but nothing fancy.

I've just read an article that states Booth's gun was unusual in that it had a left handed rifling to it. Most typical guns of the day had right handed twist.Any truth to that?

Why would the manufacturer market both right and left handed derringers? Experimental prototype maybe?

Why would the manufacturer market both right and left handed derringers? Experimental prototype maybe?

Maybe just trying different rifling types? Henry Deringer made a variety of arms and IIRC his pistol barrels started out as rifle length and would be cut down to the desired size for the variety of handguns he offered (one full length barrel providing several pistol ones). He sold belt, pocket and vest pocket size handguns as well as sporting rifles but is best known today for the small guns. Which is not surprising considering they were the most popular (and copied) of all his guns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back