• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Philadelphia derringer trigger pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mntnhntr

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Bought a used Philadelphia derringer for my grandson to learn and shoot with.
The problem is the trigger pull
Is very high even for me.
What is the best method to lighten it?

Cute guns, but not ideal for teaching a youngster how to shoot.

And have you put a trigger scale on it? Who is the manufacturer? The two I am familiar are a bit different from each other.

Cute guns, but not ideal for teaching a youngster how to shoot.

And have you put a trigger scale on it? Who is the manufacturer? The two I am familiar are a bit different from each other.
He knows how to shoot very well and accurate. Was more using it as a muzzle loading learner that a shooting learner

He knows how to shoot very well and accurate. Was more using it as a muzzle loading learner that a shooting learner
In addition to shooting it could be a bit of a history lesson as well. You can tell the story of the Lincoln assassination.

Somehow you would have to move the pivot point of the trigger and the part that actuates the shear. There are better descriptions found among the rifle builders pages.

If it is a CVA or Jukar there should be an adjustment screw. When I bought my KY pistol online I couldn't hardly pull the trigger. Adjusted that screw and it is very easy now.

The problem is,,
Truth is, that's how they were made. It's a pocket gun. It's use was deliberate and final.
There really isn't a fix,,
All you have to do is look at the geometry of the locks sear and trigger position to see it.
The best lesson to demonstrate with the derringer perhaps,, is how a basic percussion lock/trigger function individually and in tandem with each other.
And the simple but necessary steps to make the load,, and how cleaning afterward with lubrication is important.
(there's tools involved)
When your Grandson has those basics,, you can then show him how advancements in design and application made better/easier control.

Otherwise, teach how to thumb the hammer, it's actually training for how to cock a rifle safely and silently during a hunt ,,, ;)

You could dissasemble the lock and polish the sear, just use a very fine diamond or emery and don't take much off. be very, very careful not to change the angle of the contact points. I did, mine was quite rough (even on cocking) and it is now smooth and pleasant to pull. DO NOT remove the hammer spring, unless you have considerable experience or special tools! Taking this to a gun smith would be a wise decision.

Make sure the lock screw is not protruding and rubbing the hammer. Also make sure the sear leg is not rubbing on the inside of the lock mortise. Do not remove the hammer spring they are a mother to get back on. White grease the spring and guide and under the tumbler. Most of all have fun with it.

Thin the width of the sear spring, and some of the thickness when possible, then look into other possibles if needed. Sear springs are almost always way over powered. The power need be only enough to make a positive safe return of the sear. Any more is not necessary nor desirable as a heavier than necessary spring only serves to wear the sear and tumbler faster.

Back