• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pheasant season tradition.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost every pheasant around here is a Game Commission released farmed bird. No brighter than a broiler house chicken and just about that inspiring to hunt. Crow, dove and waterfowl are the only winged game.

There are rumors of quail. But I have heard a lot more rumor than I have seen feather.

Great horned owls have made a comeback in this region. They take the farmed pheasants for the breast meat and leave the rest. Have watched an owl take prey away from a hawk.

Wild pheasant population collapsed decades ago in Pennsylvania. No one ever learned why and they have never rebounded.
Prop 65 happy California killed the entire species with herbicides and destruction of habitat. Most days we would see hundreds and bag our limit. The roads were always strewn dead ones hit by cars. Now to see any kind of road kill is an anomaly. My Ped 12 double reliably put meat on the table up to 2008 then nothing.

Habitat is important. Continuous habitat even more so and more difficult to find. And good habitat is not always what people think it is.

In Pennsylvania the Ruffed Grouse Society has funded logging operations on Game Commission lands. Regenerating forest supports more species of plants and animals than does a mature forest.

The deer population in Pennsylvania is such that it is sometimes necessary to fence them out of regenerating forest lest they eat all of the tender new growth. I have personally seen this done on Hawk Mountain.

Last edited:
Pheasants certainly are easily prey for predators but the usually or rather, some of them get smart.
Sprays certainly do kill them and other wildlife. They do better where little spray is applied.
Goshawks and buzzards do help with reproduction. The young are easily picked off. Cats and foxes murder them too.
That's a never ending job!
IMG_20220909_220606.jpg

Great evening out. Keep 'em coming. Trust those little B---- holes weren't made by a PRB from a M/L. (Can't find a T in C---K Mojo). LOL. Was that a Pair?? Can't see Jess in the Pickie. O.D.

Great evening out. Keep 'em coming. Trust those little B---- holes weren't made by a PRB from a M/L. (Can't find a T in C---K Mojo). LOL. Was that a Pair?? Can't see Jess in the Pickie. O.D.
You are speaking in tongues again friend and besides, some say it's illegal to shoot ball from a smooth bore, so much so they get real upset about it.
No need for a patch though.

HMR, 60yds and 100+.
Jess was at home that night.

She does come out some nights.
IMG_20220811_214738.jpg

I will get in bother with Dave if I post any more such photos so that's it now!
😁

I don't want to get in trouble either. Nice to see Jess out though.. Have you tried the NV on an ML
at targets on the range yet. I love My Tiny unmentionable **R. All your photos are great.. OLD DOG..
P.S. Did you check out--"ECHIDUA" The ancient Greek addition??.. o.d..

Cool dog, that Jess. Time afield is always better spent with a 4-legged friend in my book. I'm a continental breed fan myself. Wires, pudelpointers, and shorthairs. Give that Jess a scratch for me!

I don't want to get in trouble either. Nice to see Jess out though.. Have you tried the NV on an ML
at targets on the range yet. I love My Tiny unmentionable **R. All your photos are great.. OLD DOG..
P.S. Did you check out--"ECHIDUA" The ancient Greek addition??.. o.d..
No sir but I use it when I get a cold....

Back