• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pheasant season tradition.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My little tradition of using a muzzleloader for my first birds of the season has been another successful year.
It was hard work mind you finding a few!
In fact I was struggling but decided to release Jess into a thick overgrown slang of trees and scrub and bingo, out fly's a cock bird and turns away. About a 30 yard shot.
IMG_20221001_154050.jpg

I still had the one barrel loaded in the topsy turvy barreled Beretta thingy gun and putting Jess in some more cover two birds lifted a little to far forward for my liking but the 40 yard left to right crosser was soooo tempting I took the shot.
IMG_20221001_160306.jpg

I just loaded something around 65gns of powder and 1&1/8oz of #5 shot. Just thin cards for a wad.
My wife does a good schnitzel and I've asked to do these birds in a day or two or four even.
B.

Congrats on the success. Interesting how both our countries of residence have such diverse issues. Your firearm laws and we have no where to just go walk out and successfully hunt like you did today it seems. Thank you for letting me dream of what I used to be able to do 45 years ago.

My little tradition of using a muzzleloader for my first birds of the season has been another successful year.
It was hard work mind you finding a few!
In fact I was struggling but decided to release Jess into a thick overgrown slang of trees and scrub and bingo, out fly's a cock bird and turns away. About a 30 yard shot.View attachment 165676
I still had the one barrel loaded in the topsy turvy barreled Beretta thingy gun and putting Jess in some more cover two birds lifted a little to far forward for my liking but the 40 yard left to right crosser was soooo tempting I took the shot.
View attachment 165677
I just loaded something around 65gns of powder and 1&1/8oz of #5 shot. Just thin cards for a wad.
My wife does a good schnitzel and I've asked to do these birds in a day or two or four even.
B.
Great stuff my friend.
Love the sportcoat and camo pants look. 😉😆😆😆

Good shooting brit, was in the dove fields this past thursday with two very good hunting pardners neither of which uses B.P. so in order to keep the hunt going on a fast pace I took a un-mentionable over under, first time I ever shot doves over decoys as the one hunter is a big time bird guy and brought the decoy spread, large flights on the decoys and finished with 12 birds good evening. Also good pics.

Good shooting brit, was in the dove fields this past thursday with two very good hunting pardners neither of which uses B.P. so in order to keep the hunt going on a fast pace I took a un-mentionable over under, first time I ever shot doves over decoys as the one hunter is a big time bird guy and brought the decoy spread, large flights on the decoys and finished with 12 birds good evening. Also good pics.
Muzzleloading over decoys sure teaches you to load quickly! 👍🏻

I ripped them today on wire fencing 😤
I stitched them up when I got home.
View attachment 165718
Good huh. Never had to take them off!
Wait....I think I've stitched them to my longjohns 🤦

😂
Nice repair. Longjohns already?
Well, at least you didn't rip the sportcoat.
Would be mighty untoward, uncouth, and unsportsmanlike,to be out shooting pheasants in a torn sportcoat 🙄
Bad enough you don't have a proper beater and another boy to load the gun.

😉

Back