• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

PH Whitworth wanted in UK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger2

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi Guys , maybe you can help here .
I am returning to the UK to live . Obviously I wish to continue shooting black powder , and a Whitworth rifle in particular . Does anyone know where one might be found?
What I am looking for is a Parker Hale Whitworth to purchase ,I have a lifelong friend who is a registered firearms dealer who can handle the purchase and store the rifle until I have gained the necessary certification for possesion .
It appears that genuine PH Whitworths are a bit thin on the ground , but I figure that if anyone knows where they are hiding , it will be the good fellows of this forum .
I could ,of course, export my Pedersoli , but that could be a costly and complicated procedure and I think it would be preferable to give someone in Canada the chance to own such a fascinating firearm .
Happy shooting !

You'll be looking to get a rifle with a serial number less than 9000 - this is the range of P-H made replications based on the Enfield jigs and gauges. The best bullets I've ever shot came from the Polisar bothers in Albuquerque, NM. Do NOT waste time, energy and a LOT of money on the beautiful-looking three-piece mould from Peter Dyson - it is s nightmare to use. In fact, most shooters of my acquaintance that don't have the benefit of association with Steve and Joe use the 535gr Lyman cylindro-conoidal bullet that comes with the gun when it buy it new. It bumps up to a hexagon with the help of the 90gr load and works very well out to about 800 yards.

Here's one I looked at earlier -

http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/default.asp?ID=1099&CB=1/26/2017+11:09:23+PM

It comes with everything you need to get going right away.

I don't know how long it has been since you lived in UK, but things may well be a whole lot different to when you left with regard to getting the necessary 'certification', by which I assume you mean Firearms Certificate. If you care to, PM me and I'll give you the skinny on the whole deal these days.

Last edited:
You'll be looking to get a rifle with a serial number less than 9000 - this is the range of P-H made replications based on the Enfield jigs and gauges. The best bullets I've ever shot came from the Polisar bothers in Albuquerque, NM. Do NOT waste time, energy and a LOT of money on the beautiful-looking three-piece mould from Peter Dyson - it is s nightmare to use. In fact, most shooters of my acquaintance that don't have the benefit of association with Steve and Joe use the 535gr Lyman cylindro-conoidal bullet that comes with the gun when it buy it new. It bumps up to a hexagon with the help of the 90gr load and works very well out to about 800 yards.

Here's one I looked at earlier -

http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/default.asp?ID=1099&CB=1/26/2017+11:09:23+PM

It comes with everything you need to get going right away.

I don't know how long it has been since you lived in UK, but things may well be a whole lot different to when you left with regard to getting the necessary 'certification', by which I assume you mean Firearms Certificate. If you care to, PM me and I'll give you the skinny on the whole deal these days.

Thanks tac,
I heard about that gun from another forum , apparently it had been returned by a previous purchaser who was unhappy with it's condition .
I will be bringing my bullet moulds, sights and associated paraphenalia , so it's just a rifle that I'm after .
I held a firearms certificate many moons ago and have ,by and large, behaved myself for the last few years .Hopefully "the powers that be" will look upon me kindly .

Last edited:
I am returning to the UK to live . Obviously I wish to continue shooting black powder , and a Whitworth rifle in particular . Does anyone know where one might be found?
What I am looking for is a Parker Hale Whitworth to purchase ,I have a lifelong friend who is a registered firearms dealer who can handle the purchase and store the rifle until I have gained the necessary certification for possesion .
It appears that genuine PH Whitworths are a bit thin on the ground , but I figure that if anyone knows where they are hiding , it will be the good fellows of this forum .
I could ,of course, export my Pedersoli , but that could be a costly and complicated procedure and I think it would be preferable to give someone in Canada the chance to own such a fascinating firearm .
Happy shooting !
Have you thought of trying the MLAGB site. ( Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain. In fact, I venture to suggest that you become a member. May help with the firearm cert and someone may have what you are looking for. Best regards

Have you thought of trying the MLAGB site. ( Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain. In fact, I venture to suggest that you become a member. May help with the firearm cert and someone may have what you are looking for. Best regards

It will open up a whole shooting experience, that's for sure. The MLAGB has its own dedicated BP ranges at Wedgnock in the Midlands and has long-range shooting matches taking place all over the planet, but it won't help the OP get a firearms certificate.

The MLAGB is an association, not a gun club. To get an FAC to shoot the kind of thing the OP wants - a Section 1 firearm - means that he has to be a FULL member of a gun club that shoots BP, and that comes only after having served the usual six-month probie time.

It will open up a whole shooting experience, that's for sure. The MLAGB has its own dedicated BP ranges at Wedgnock in the Midlands and has long-range shooting matches taking place all over the planet, but it won't help the OP get a firearms certificate.

The MLAGB is an association, not a gun club. To get an FAC to shoot the kind of thing the OP wants - a Section 1 firearm - means that he has to be a FULL member of a gun club that shoots BP, and that comes only after having served the usual six-month probie time.
If you are a member of the MLAGB, which is a shooting club as well as the association, you become a probational branch member and you can then apply for your firearms cert. I’ve been a branch chairman for many years and have seen many people join, do their six months and get a licence based on good reason

I did that and got the one that Helston Gunsmiths were selling - same as Dodger2 did. It's not all it's cracked up to be, apparently.

If you are a member of the MLAGB, which is a shooting club as well as the association, you become a probational branch member and you can then apply for your firearms cert. I’ve been a branch chairman for many years and have seen many people join, do their six months and get a licence based on good reason

Sounds like a short cut I've never heard of. However, since you are a many years branch chairman, I guess you know better than I do. Still doesn't get over the UK residency/referees' two years' knowledge of the applicant thing though, does it?

The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (MLAGB - www.mlagb.com) is a National Governing Body and a Home Office Approved Club, and can be used as a Primary Club. It has its own ranges at Wedgnock, near Warwick, with covered firing points at 25m, 50m and 100m. The MLAGB’s Mid and Long Range National Rifle Championships, with events at 200, 300, 500, 600, 900 and 1000 yards, are held at Bisley. It is underpinned by regional Branches.

Additionally there is the Long Range Rifles Branch (www.longrangerifles.co.uk). The Branch holds matches at ranges generally commencing at 600 yards, and out to 1200 yards. There is a match specifically for Whitworth rifles held at 600 yards.

David

I just chased up a rifle that was advertised on the internet , it turned out to be a Euroarms Volunteer and not a PH Whitworth.
What I am finding is that gunstores will describe rifles as Parker Hale ,when in fact they are really Euroarms rifles with Parker Hale barrels . Whether this is done inadvertently or deliberately , is hard to know . But if , like me , you are searching for a PH , please bear this in mind , get a photo from the seller and check serial numbers , lock plates and proof marks before you venture from home or part with any money .

I just chased up a rifle that was advertised on the internet , it turned out to be a Euroarms Volunteer and not a PH Whitworth.
What I am finding is that gunstores will describe rifles as Parker Hale ,when in fact they are really Euroarms rifles with Parker Hale barrels . Whether this is done inadvertently or deliberately , is hard to know . But if , like me , you are searching for a PH , please bear this in mind , get a photo from the seller and check serial numbers , lock plates and proof marks before you venture from home or part with any money .
Most gundealers would not know the difference from a PH whitworth and a banana sticking out of their________ over here, you fill in the blank!

Most gundealers would not know the difference from a PH whitworth and a banana sticking out of their________ over here, you fill in the blank!

Would that be a Chiquita banana or a Del Monte banana ? You think they would know wouldn't you ?
[ Btw bananas are pentagonal not hexagonal so shouldn't be confused easily .]
It's amazing how many dealers , who should know better , misrepresent these rifles - very Kranky behaviour .
Bad show !

Happy shooting !
tell
E-mail Jon Francis at [email protected] or call him at 0777 1641 747 or 01354 697764. Tell him Dave referred you.

Would that be a Chiquita banana or a Del Monte banana ? You think they would know wouldn't you ?
[ Btw bananas are pentagonal not hexagonal so shouldn't be confused easily .]
It's amazing how many dealers , who should know better , misrepresent these rifles - very Kranky behaviour .
Bad show !

Hey, Britsmoothy, I SAW what you did right there.......... ;)

Back