• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

pewter nosecap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That picture is very close to what I want. Probably will not do the underside as pictured. I think a very simple v point in the center underneath will work best.
I’ve done 2 Hawken poured pewter caps but both on raw wood. It’s been a long time but I don’t remember having much to file where the pewter hits wood. I’ll need a real good form to hold the correct shape and dimensions and a very good seal where pewter hits finished wood.
Love that Hartford style nose cap look.

Another thought is to transfer the pattern to some raw wood same dimensions as my forend and cast the cap. Then transfer to finished stock and attach with screws and epoxy???

Do most cover the area on the forend with masking tape before drawing the shape of the nose cap cut out area? Or would blue painters tape be better or something else? Want to keep the edges clean precise?

The clean and precise is going to be determined by your chisel cuts so just pencil straight on the wood is best for me. I believe I would either live without the nose cap or resign myself to the fact that you will need to refinish at least some wood.

Thanks, seems like a worthwhile project, I can handle the refinish if necessary. Just don’t want to have to. Seems like all my projects end up way more work than anticipated. Usually my screw ups are the reason but I usually get it done and happy with the outcome. It doesn’t look like this is going to be the exception!
If you have more input don’t hesitate. This is a unmentionable project on a single shot!!

And olde trick for installing a pachymar/padded butt to a modern rifle is/was.
A layer of Scotch tape (.002) under a layer of Painters tape (.005) under a layer of electricians tape (.006),,
,, all installed against the mating edge of the finished wood.
(and/or installed prior to the first cut)
As the install is shaped to contour with files/sanding blocks,, you work the edge until the "tape" is scuffed from sanding,
Remove one layer of tape and work down until the next layer is scuffed, then remove the next layer and work it down further.
That last .002 of the scotch tape isn't really noticeable at least with a butt plate install.
Just sending out ideas,,

I poured a real ebony wood nose cap on this muzzleloader. Lol.

Screenshot_20220223-174235_Gallery.jpg

Back