• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peter Neihart Lehigh rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't often see Neidhart guns posted. In fact, I think yours is the first. It's a wonderful rendition. Initially, I would have gone along with the lock panel statement of them being a bit thick, but after looking at the disc, I think you got them just about right. Neidhart did things a little differently than the rest of the Central Lehigh County builders that are better known.

That nuance of the double radius wrist so typical of Rupp and Moll is just a hint of it with a Neidhart. Most folks tend to overdo it. You didn't.

I agree with your decision to leave the sights a bit on the high side. I've built a couple with close to original height sights and they're darn near invisible.

If there was one thing I would pick on just a little is that it seems the front (and top) radius of the lock panel sweeps looks a little bit on the sharp side, but that could be the camera lighting too

Col. Batguano, Thanks for your comments & observations. Truth be told, I was sort of walking the tightrope so to speak with the lock panels. I usually like to keep them around .090 or so, but it started with my RR hole leaving me a web a little thicker than I would have liked. Consequently, I ended up lowering the barrel about .030 (about as far as I could go without sacrificing pan/touch hole location & upper forearm architecture) and stretched the lock panels closer to .125. All the while paying close attention to the pics of the Neihart originals I have from Dixons and the KRA disc to stay at least somewhat close to what they were.

You ran in to the same problem with the lock sear bar that I did with a recent Kuntz build. No room to lower the lock further (which is the main reason they're tipped up in the tail). To solve for it I bent the main sear bar (the part that bears against to lock panel) upwards about 10 degrees. You could also put a dog leg in the main sear bar to accomplish the same thing. with a simple hinged / pinned trigger you have lots of room to file the trigger blade down. I didn't have that owing to the fact I used a SASST trigger housing mechanism instread (more work than it was worth).

Here is my contemporary Peter Neihart Lehigh rifle recently completed. I used a drawing from Eric Von Aschwege as a general guide for the architecture, then added the subtle step in the wrist. The guide for the carving, engraving & patchbox designs were from Neihart #17 on the KRA Lehigh disc. Most of the carving is incised and chip carving – I would say 80% with the rest being in relief. Neihart definitely had a unique carving and engraving style, almost sort of “folksy” for lack of a better term. However, I tend to believe that Mr. Neihart’s carving was a bit more than “a great day with the V chisel” and does represent some sort of meaning and/or symbolism. I left the sights a bit high for a Lehigh, but they will be filed at sight in.

Barrel – 44” 50 cal. Bobby Hoyt

Lock – Larry Zornes Classic

Triggerguard – Mike Brooks Lehigh

Buttplate – Reaves #13

All other parts were shop made by me

As always, critique and comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking. TommyG

View attachment 84003View attachment 84004View attachment 84005View attachment 84007View attachment 84008View attachment 84010View attachment 84011View attachment 84012View attachment 84013View attachment 84014
Fantastic! What a great build...

Back