• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peter Neihart Lehigh rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyG

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here is my contemporary Peter Neihart Lehigh rifle recently completed. I used a drawing from Eric Von Aschwege as a general guide for the architecture, then added the subtle step in the wrist. The guide for the carving, engraving & patchbox designs were from Neihart #17 on the KRA Lehigh disc. Most of the carving is incised and chip carving – I would say 80% with the rest being in relief. Neihart definitely had a unique carving and engraving style, almost sort of “folksy” for lack of a better term. However, I tend to believe that Mr. Neihart’s carving was a bit more than “a great day with the V chisel” and does represent some sort of meaning and/or symbolism. I left the sights a bit high for a Lehigh, but they will be filed at sight in.

Barrel – 44” 50 cal. Bobby Hoyt

Lock – Larry Zornes Classic

Triggerguard – Mike Brooks Lehigh

Buttplate – Reaves #13

All other parts were shop made by me

As always, critique and comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking. TommyG

P1010874.JPGP1010881.JPGP1010607.JPGP1010614.JPGP1010628.JPGP1010668.JPGP1010705.JPGP1010711.JPGP1010785.JPGP1010729.JPG

Tommy, That rifle is beautiful. I really like that patchbox you made and the zigzag engraving on it.

Hi Tommy,
What a great gun! I would really like to see photos from the side showing the front of the lock to the butt plate to really get a sense of the architecture.

dave

Thanks guys for your comments.
Dave - let me know if this is what you were looking for. I'm still trying to figure this gun photography thing out, trying different locations and back drops etc.
P1010910.JPG
P1010915.JPG

Hi Tommy,
Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to see. You got the profile of that gun nicely. Beautiful! I love the funky way the lock is tipped up to the rear or the stock gives that illusion, something often found on Lehighs.

dave

Thanks Dave. I did a lot of research and reading from Ron Gabel and Eric von Ashwege before and as I went along with the build to try and capture the nuances in the architecture that make the lehigh area guns a bit different. The tipped lock being one, no straight lines another - even the cast off is curved. Much of this is not noticeable unless you use a straight edge. It was challenging, but fun!

Really nice fit and finish, color and architecture. If I could find any fault, I would have to say…… the lock panels are pretty wide. Most of these early guns had very skinny lock panels.

TommyG, I admire your craftsmanship! This is the rifle I would buy, if I had an appropriate amount. My folks and I are from Tamaqua and Summit Hill, just over the mountain from the Lehigh Valley. I could only hope my ancestors had such a beautiful rifle.
I wouldn't ask if this is for sale, but would it be rude to ask the other Forum folks what I would have to pay for a comparable rifle?
I love the work that you put into it, and this is asked in admiration. If inappropriate, I certainly withdraw the question.
With great respect,
Brazos John

Back