• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Personal Protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks just do not understand humor and satire.

When I saw the photo I thought it was funny, had no idea that it would stir up negative comments and some saw reality in it for every day carry.

Shore looks like an "in the waist band" holster does it not?

At any rate, guy did a fine job on his holster, may not be PC/HC, but the pistol is secure and not going to fall out.

Think I will go put some black on my front sight now.
I notice how it takes very little to get people's hackles up these days. It used to be just when winter set in but now with the pandemic and election "festivities", some people use any excuse to go into attack mode. Nice holster and don't forget to put a cap on the nipple.

Wouldn't it be nice if all confrontations could be resolved by a single response? What bothers me about several of the replies in this thread is that some of us are apparently willing to depend on the presence of a personal weapon of any sort as a deterrent to violence. It often works out that way, granted, but I'll never voluntarily depend on it. It's been my experience that some opponents require more persuasion than others to stop what they're doing, and also that thugs often travel in groups.
My personal motto is "Peace through superior firepower."

99%ish of killings can be avoided by eating crow or just talk. Ya dont have to be the best endowed dude all the time. Id rather leave a situation thought a "chicken" than kill some poor idiot (most the time). Law agrees in most cases.

NOW HOWEVER.....that relates to mess with me. Mess with kids/wife you get to meet Jesus, one warning.

I agree with Tanglefoot, my wife's safety won't be subject to someone else's mood. I have dash cams in my cars, pistols in each room in the house I can be cornered in, armed end tables, bear spray and a loaded AR pistol in my truck (not tucked away as TN's Castle Doctrine includes one's vehicle), and 'Situational awareness in transitional spaces', and 'Wait your turn' are my personal mottos. (Some of you guys know what that is). Call me crazy if you want but I grew up rural in Griz country and did my fair share of fighting the Commandant's enemies. Some things won't be left to fate.

Last edited:
Flintlock.jpg

Who needs a buttcap?

14 in the pistol and two spare mags, that clicking sound you hear is reloading, we live in un-certain times I for one will not trust my family, your family or my security to a single shot muzzle loader. I hope it never comes to that but practice and prepare today for you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Back in my younger days when I was really into all things muzzle loading, people were more intimidated by the hawk on my hip than any firearm I had.

In all seriousness though, why place yourself in a situation where you have a 50-50 chance of not surviving? Always best to carry discreetly and avoid trouble at all costs. I seldom walk around in public armed. But when I feel the need it is usually a S&W J frame. It fits in a sleeve right in my pants pocket and no one even knows its there. The problem with open carry in today's climate, is if you do happen to find yourself among protestors and they see it, it could cause a confrontation because you are armed. It could go downhill quickly from there. JMO. I like being the guy nobody knows.

Too much fear out there.
In my many decades of adult life, going to places not generally considered safe for personal and work situations, I've only had one incident where I was worried for my health or safety and that was intercepting migrants on the high seas where finding a grenade in a backpack did pucker my butt until I lost sight of it sinking into the Caribbean. Other than that I've walked all over NYC at the wee hours after concerts, Went to clubs in Oakland CA, hung out at restaurants in Little Havana , Miami , walked from the base to a lunch joint in down town Detroit, and even was problem walking drunk in Port Au Prince Haiti. I never felt I needed to use a gun or knife to protect myself...and for work I did carry one.

I've had a carry permit since I was 18, in 3 different states and the only time I carry is for transport. Truly the only thing that scares me is the "patriots" who carry black guns to show off. They are the truly dangerous ones. Not because they intend on using it but because I firmly believe that there is a better chance of them shooting some one by accident.

Back to the OP. I like the holster but for me I think crossed bandoleers with twin flintlocks just looks more authentic and cool piratey. 🏴‍☠️

Yeah, but you never know...... I am not afraid in town, but in very rural areas where there is no law enforcement for miles . Never know who or what you may stumble upon.

Well, funny how we all learn from our own stories. My baby sister was home alone in a nice neighborhood in Houston and had the door kicked in on her. 15 shots were fired in her house of which she fired 3. Four Meth heads had decided her house looked good or they knew she was alone. She was unbelievably unhurt but shaken as you can imagine. I’m not cavalier whether walking in Griz woods or downtown Nashville. Like most of you, but unlike my little sister, I haven't had fate interfere with my bliss, so instead of wearing that as some sort of badge of honor, I carry a Glock and am hyper-aware when in transitional spaces... To each his own.

I'll lighten up now Fish.

Last edited:
The problem with open carry in today's climate, is if you do happen to find yourself among protestors and they see it, it could cause a confrontation
Well, protestors notwithstanding, I would consider RIOTERS to be more of a threat however I believe the question of open carry instigating more problems than concealed will be predicated by the environment.

If one is open carrying in a large, urban environment that is predisposed to more crime and violence then I suspect one MAY be in more danger open carrying. There have been verified cases of OC causing problems but there have usually been details that have exacerbated it.

Where I live (predominantly rural) I do not have a high level of violence and crime and therefore do not regard it as much of a problem. I OC regularly, as many do and it does not even raise any eyebrows.

I have never heard of anyone open carrying in the Central Oregon area where I live having a problem but most all I see carrying are doing so responsibly and unassumingly.

I think there would be more of a problem associated with the method of carry as opposed to carrying itself.

An example would be is a while back while in a local LGS I saw a tall, lanky, goofy looking fella was standing there with two revolvers in old leather holsters forward on his belt (kind of like pointing at each other) He kind of looked like a cross between someone in a spaghetti western or an old 1930's picture of someone defending his still against the revenuers.

Put this guy in a high crime environment with his method of carry (if even legal) and his chances of losing those two guns would probably be much more probable than someone open carrying unobtrusively and responsibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back