Personal Journal Recommendations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Finished reading Osborne Russels “Journal of a Trapper” and (not rmft related) but Nicholas Creswell’s journal and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good journals during the Rocky Mountain rendezvous era? Thanks in advance…

Reaction score
By the way I’ve already read Meeks book the merry mountain man and plan on reading crow killer too but am looking more towards journals themselves from the period. Thanks in advance for any recommendations guys!

Reaction score
Diary of James Clyman. Journals of Lewis and Clark, Wha ta Yha and the Taos Trail, Commerce of the Plains, Jedidiah Smith and the opening of the west. That one is a biography of Smith as he didn’t keep a journal. However the last half of his book is his letters. Washington Irving, who was willing to improve on the truth.

Reaction score
I've read about all of them, some no longer published. Osborne Russell and Zena Leonard are very good, also Washington Irving's, Adventures of Capt. Bonneville.
If you have an e reader like kindle many classic books are free to six dollars. Used they can be not too bad on Amazon or eBay, new old stock is up there on grocery price range

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations guys, you’ve helped expand my list greatly! (And shrink my wallet…) Not sure if it’s a good read but I also ordered “Forty Years A Fur Trader” by Charles Lapentuer, was only $4.99 on Amazon…

Latest posts