• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permalyn or Tried and True

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I don't use any sealer of any kind on the stocks I've finished. I see no need for it. This applies to both maple and walnut.
After sanding, dewhiskering and staining, he finishing oil does a nice job of protecting and sealing the wood.
maplestripesweb.jpg

I made my own BLO/beeswax blend. Cheaper than Tried and True and worked out pretty well. It was about 85% BLO, 15% beeswax.

Jim used Tried and True in one of his videos. He mixed it with some turpentine most likely as a thinner and dryer. I will be trying a 50/50 TT & Turpentine 1st coat, then 100%TT subsequent multiple coats very soon on my Kibler. I have a thread on here posting my progress. I'll let you know what I think when I get to that point.

I've used and like Tried & True, but it takes a long time to dry. However I don't think anything else can give you that beautiful oil finish look.

Jim used Tried and True in one of his videos. He mixed it with some turpentine most likely as a thinner and dryer. I will be trying a 50/50 TT & Turpentine 1st coat, then 100%TT subsequent multiple coats very soon on my Kibler. I have a thread on here posting my progress. I'll let you know what I think when I get to that point.
I watched that video, and I'm watching the progress of your build. :thumb: I'm assuming you're going to use the 'Original' Formula T&T?

Hatchet-Jack What is the name of your thread concerning your Kibler build? Thanks.

+1 on the Tried `n True taking forever to dry. I finished one stock with it in late summer and on in to September when we had very high humidity and it took about 2 weeks for each coat to harden up. Now that we're in mid March, and inside humidity is about 3%, it should dry much faster. A drop of Japan Drier in to your application dish will help things along.

The Tried n True brand that is BLO and beeswax is what I bought not thinking that there were others. It’s a gel and I cut it with turpentine for a first coat on maple. It’s very SLOW to set up! The varnish that Jim uses would be what I would buy next time, but more then likely I’ll stick with BC Tru Oil as it’s worked very well for me for over 40 years. I don’t hesitate to throw out the small bottle that has started to set up because the work I’ve put into a project is greater then the few dollars of a fresh bottle of finish.

I guess I'll wait until I get the rifle built to order the finish. I have a lot of experience with finishes on metal, but very little with wood. On metal gloss is usually preferred, but I don't want a really glossy finish, or one that looks like plastic. From the reading I've done, so far, the gloss level of the Permalyn can be adjusted by rubbing with a coarse wool blanket.

Have any of you gents ever used Timberluxe? Wood Finish — TimberLuxe From the msds it looks like 25% Linseed oil, 25% sunflower oil, with the rest being a mix of chemicals, mostly solvents, I'm familiar with from my painting career. The videos on the site make it look pretty easy, and some people on other unmentionable forums have used it on more modern guns with good initial results, but I have no idea about the long term durability.

On walnut stocks I fill the pores with whatever polyurethane I have on hand while rubbing in pumice or rottenstone with a little bone black thrown in to darken it. After several coats of this I sand it down to the wood with water and 320 -400 grit paper. When that is good and dry is when I add any stain and linseed oil. After a couple of weeks I go back to the poly rubbing it on with more pumice or rottenstone depending on the shine I want. Rub on a coat and wipe it dry with a blue paper shop towel. This looks like a good oil finish and has the water resistance of several coats of polyurethane. I'm working on one now and I'll post a picture when it's done.

Back